• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some help/mechanical advice

Jeepdogrob

NAXJA Forum User
On the way home from Sidewinder yesterday I noticed a high pitch squeeling noise accompanied by a slight grinding coming from the engine compartment. Upon inspection and a quick look by Rawbrown it looked like it was coming form the water pump and around the fan. Along with the noise there were really fine bits of metal spitting out when running. And there seemed to be a very slight wobble to the fan. Ryan also said it looked like the belt was about to work itself off. I was able to make it home (about an hour away) but only drove about 55mph. I am not sure what the problem is. I dont want to start replacing parts that dont need replacing.

Has anyone had these symptoms or know what this might be? :dunno:

Would anyone be willing to come help me wrench on it, even if just long enough to diagnose it? I am not very keen under the hood yet and would really appreciate some expert knowledge. Thanks

Rob :confused:

1996 with a I-6 HO.

Sounds like time for a new water pump. All the symtoms say pump. Any water dripping?

Shouldn't be too hard to change...a couple hours even if you don't know what you're doing. I'd help you out, but its a bit of a drive.

If there's a slight wobble to the fan, you'll also want to change the bracket the A/C Compressor is mounted on, since it also has the bearings for the fan idler. You don't need to disconnect the compressor, since you're not removing it.

You will, however, have to get the entire bracket - since the bearings are not serviceable. If you get the thing changed, I'd appreciate the old one, since I need a couple sacrificial "victims" to redesign the thing with a serviceable bearing set... Also, if yer anywhere near San Jose, or don't mind driving up one week-end, I can help you change the pump and the bracket if you like. Let me know, and I'll tell you what to bring.

5-90

JohnX said:
Sounds like time for a new water pump. All the symtoms say pump. Any water dripping?

Shouldn't be too hard to change...a couple hours even if you don't know what you're doing. I'd help you out, but its a bit of a drive.

I havent noticed any water dripping but that is not to say it is not happening. Do I need to remove the radiator to get the pump out?

Check your vibration damper. When they start to separate, it will move back towards the timing chain cover and grind into it. This will also make your belt move back and possibly come off.

Tim D.

Looked up the "vibration dampner" and it's a helluva time to get to it. Is there a way to know if the pump is bad before I go tearin into the Heep to get to the dampner?

Hey Rob, you close to Miramar? I'll come help one of these upcoming days after work, if you find out what's wrong. I can't offer any advice, cuz I had the dealership replace my waterpump 2 days after I bought it (lovely lemon law), but willing to help out under the hood. Can always learn something new.
Oh, by the way, just sent the link to ya so you can view the albums on kodak. One's just yours, and the other is all of um on my camera. I'll check when I get back to my room, but I might have a video of you too. Anyway, later man.

Adam

Drain and pull radiator. Remove nose bolt with buss wrench or leverage and "sudden force."

You'll need to pull the radiator to have room for the HD puller - otherwise, it just don't happen. At least, I've not been able to make it happen...

Take the belt off and shake all suspect pullys, and turn them by hand. Failing bearings will usually present as a "rumble" or "rattle" when turning the pully, and there will usually be a good deal of "play" as well. Check the water pump while you're about it - it's possible for shaft bearings to fail without failing a shaft seal (makes it buggardly to look for...)

I'd take the belt off and check pullys, idlers, and accessories, and lay a straightedge along the HD face (like I'd mentioned,) before I got too far into tearing things to bits.

Like I said - if you're up this way, we can arrange to link up and I'll give you a few pointers.

5-90

Thanks for the help everyone. I think I have enough to start digging into it. I will post up if I have anymore questions.

I'll PM you Adam, Thanks.

Rob

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
STOP RIGHT THERE!!!
your water pump is fine.
your harmonic balancer is fine.
its only the bearings that the fan clutch ride on that are bad.
DON'T do that to your self Rob!!!
leave the radiator and cooling system alone.
The water pump is directly over the harmonic balancer. the pulley was spinning true when I looked and there wasn't any evidence of water loss.
the clutch fan pulley was walking the belt all over the place. and those bearings are the culprit.

There you go - from someone who actually saw what was happening!

You'll need to replace that entire bracket - about $60 or so at the dealer, last time I got one. Those bearings are not serviceable, with the current assembly.

Once you replace it, I'd appreciate it if you didn't throw the old one out. I'll cover shipping for you to send it here, so I can hack it up and figure out how to improve the thing (make it serviceable certainly - make it "field serviceable" maybe...)

5-90

Ha Ha! Thanks Ryan. I will call you today and Harass you a little.

Rob

I am working some knarly hours Today through Wednesday 0830-2030. So I am not going to dig into it until Thursday morning. I'll let you know though.

Rob

Well, I got it fixed. Turns out it was the aluminum bracket that the AC condensor sits on. The bearings inside went bad and where grinding around inside around the shaft. It was a pretty easy fix. Thanks for the help and suggestions. Anyone else every have this thing go out on them? The dealership had a bit of a hard time figuring out what it was.

Rob

Back