• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help pulling the cargo carpet

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
Well the rear cargo area carpet is pretty wet. Went shooting today in the rain and I was using the hatch as a cover. After awhile I saw a bunch of small rivers flowing on into the inside of my XJ. So I removed my husky liner and I saw the carpet which looks like it has been wet for a little while.

So I'm in the middle of pulling it. What I cant figure out is how to remove the factory cargo tie downs? Do I just drill through them????

Ideas?

90Pioneer said:
Well the rear cargo area carpet is pretty wet. Went shooting today in the rain and I was using the hatch as a cover. After awhile I saw a bunch of small rivers flowing on into the inside of my XJ. So I removed my husky liner and I saw the carpet which looks like it has been wet for a little while.

So I'm in the middle of pulling it. What I cant figure out is how to remove the factory cargo tie downs? Do I just drill through them????

Ideas?
i cut my carpet around the tie downs and then ground em off when the carpet as out.

lilredwagn said:
I just tugged on mine until the carpet stretched around the tiedown and came off. Got a 96 though, don't know if the tiedowns were different.
They aren't. But I also threw my carpet out.

Are they held down with rivets? If so, drill out the rivets and pull out the tabs. When you reinstall the carpet, you can reinstall the hold-down tabs with screws.

montanaman said:
Are they held down with rivets? If so, drill out the rivets and pull out the tabs. When you reinstall the carpet, you can reinstall the hold-down tabs with screws.

yup, they're rivets...i used a hammer and snapped all four of mine out like i was pulling out a nail - then drilled out the rivet part.

they're pretty cheap tie-downs - you can get better ones and screw them in,...be careful of gas tank and fuel lines.

I just took a drill to the top of the pop rivet, once the head of the pop rivet was drilled out, all the parts for the tiedown slid right off and the carpet came off easily.

I have to cut off the remaining body of the pop rivets and drill out the part in the floor, and replace with a new pop rivet when I put the carpet back in.

Back