• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can't pop hood !

SPVFD47

NAXJA Forum User
Can't pop hooä"!

A buddÙ*of mines fire company was donated a 88 XJ. The battery is dead and they can't pip the Hkod. I jhow on my XJ that its hard to pull sometimes but if you yank the sucker hard it pops. On this one nothing. You can actually pull the hood release as far as it 2`ould go pretty easy and nothing. I'm thinking the cable might be frozen and the handle broke off ? Also under the steering column theres some type of lock that uses a vending machine style key. Its got ` roô that goes through the firevall.&Is this some type of hood that you need to unlock first in order to pop the hood ?

You can remove the headlights and access the two releases, it's a bear but thats how it's done. If someone added some kind of aftermarket hood lock then you need to get under there with a flashlight see whats what.. maybe cut the rod and see, either way that has to come out if you don't have a key...

Hes got the key... I was just messing around with it a little more. I think the cable is snaped or something... never heard about removing the headlights. can you give me some more insight on this ? Just in case.

Do a search on broken hood cable, broken hood release, etc, you might even find some pics. Figure you are going to need about an hour to hour and a half, good light source and a couple of long thin screwdrivers. Been a while since I have done one. If you have another XJ handy pop their hood and take a look at what you need to do..

Oh yea... I got my own. I've popped the hood on it and checked it out... I just don't want to pull my headlights out and what now. It looks like we're going to have to do that to this one.

Thanks
Doug

Sometimes you can reach from underneath and pull gently on the release bar that runs under the hood. Keep in mind that the bar pulls on the passenger side, but PUSHES on the drivers side. If all else fails, remove the headlight and look for these two bolts that hold down the latch:

31400483.jpg

You shouldn't have to remove the entire front end like I did, but it's a tight squeeze to get a ratchet on the second bolt.
31400225.jpg

Back