• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust gases in coolant.

SPVFD47

NAXJA Forum User
Re: Exhaust gases in âgolant.

Sounds like to me that you head gasket is going... exhaust gases are passing into the coolant areas of thä$head some how.€Er you head could not be sealed good. Did you over heat it sometime in the pass ? Hows the compression on the clyniders ? Are you losing coolant fluid ?

I'd venture to say you should change the gasket then. Its nice on inline engines cause you don't have to guess which one to change. I'd be careful driving it thou. I know of someone that had the same thing happen on a Grand Am. It caused the coolant system to pressurize and release coolant from the pressure bottle. What year XJ and engine do you have ? How many miles ?

Doug

If you don't have any knowledge of the head gasket replaced, I'd have it changed. All it takes if one overheating to cook it up and then you got all kinds of problems. If you're not losing coolant then it not getting into the exhaust and being burnt off. I'd say its a mild slipby in the head. Changing the head gasket is pretty easy. Maybe a 2 hour job or so if you know what your doing. It requires a bit of engine knowledge and a tach wrench and some other tools. Has it overheated lately on ya ?

Back