• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Go-jeeps Headlight Harness problems

CartsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am having a little 12 volt problem. I made up go-jeep's harness and wired everything up and no my high beams won't shut off when you switch back to lowbeam. They turn off when you shut the lights off, and don't turn on when you turn the lights on in lowbeam. The factory harness works just like its suppose to, and if you switch the switch wires on the relays it does the same thing, just with the low beam, but the highs will shut off when you go into high beam, plus I've tried new relays and it still does it. I've followed and re-followed the wiring diagram about ten times and everything is where its suppose to be. So..........anybody got any ideas, becuase it drove me nuts for about 6 hours yesturday. Right now I've got it so my low beams are on all the time and the highs turn on when I switch to low beam. The lows never turn off.......I try not to use the highs so I and not running both high and lows at the sametime, don't want to burn out the sliverstars......at $20 a pop that can get expensive.........any ideas??????

thanks for the link, but that just tells me I have everything wired correctly......

turn the high beams on and check the voltage at the relay, then turn them off and check the voltage again. im thinking that maybe a relay is still getting a little voltage and isnt releasing.

Are you using spdt relays?

Sounds to me like you have gotten one wrong realy. BOTH should have 87 and 87a. The way Go Jeep done his, 87 and 87a both are ON when the realy is activted. Sounds like you have a realy that toggles back and forth between 87 and 87a.

Check and make sure you have the correct realys.

Sounds like you have the decoupling diode wired backwards. Make sure you have the diode pointing toward ground. Assuming you used the same diode as gojeep napa #AR274 you would need to make sure that pin 86 runs directly to ground.

Having made this mistake last month I can say it doesn't work right if wire it backwards. :D

I found out what the issue was, I grabbed my buddy's multi-meter and tested for voltage, and found the high beam was still getting around 4.5 volts with the high beams off. Then it dawned on me that there a foglight relay that use to trigger the factory fog lights. I unplugged that and then the high beams got no voltage when turned off. So that was my issue, the 4.5 volts to trigger the foglights, was triggering the high beam relay still, so took it out and now they work like they are suppose too............thanks everybody.

Back