• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

today i ran over my muffler

dondavid

NAXJA Forum User
since the day my dad handed me the keys to my 92 XJ i've 4wheeled the welding off every possible connection from the end of the headers to the exhaust tip. I don't 4wheel hard because there are only dunes and bushes in El Paso. well as a result my muffler has tilted sideways for about a year now and the 3.5" lift from tuff country with the 1" lowered transfercase only put my alread severed muffler closer to danger. Then today i decided to tackle the rocks which lead to the side of my muffler(tilted closer to the ground) catching the top of a cliff and being ripped apart and twisted around my rear axle. So i've decided that i need a new exhaust system. And i guess the question is which exhaust system won't vibrate into pieces and how can i raise that exhaust system for more clearance. thnx.

You have headers, a lift, and you're looking for an aftermarket exhaust system.

This is posted in the OEM Tech forum why?

you can go to a custom shop and have them do there best to get it up and out of the way or you can deal with the noise of a glass pack and use the stock system. glass packs are good because they look like just a larger section of pipe and tend not to get hung up as much as a stock muffler. and there cheep 20-30.

A heavy case flowmaster muffler would withstand some hard rock impacts without crushing. You could have a shop bend you an exhaust system to match it, from 14 gauge tubing. That would be tough as hell!

I imagine you could fabricate shorter hangers for the pipes, maybe even section the header pipe to raise the plane of the whole exhaust system, but if you bring the pipes or cat any closer to the floor, you may burn your undercoating or worse. Then you would need custom heat shields.

*whistles*
thnx for the info. i think i'll look into the glass pack.
i'll probably end up tweaking with that part where the CAT connects to the crossmember (if i'm using all the right words) to get the exhaust up to its orginal position before the 1" transfercase drop.
thnx again and sorry for my ignorant thread choice
puheace

Back