• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shooting ~88 YJ Sahara Khaki

Root Moose

NAXJA Forum User
I'm thinking about attempting to shoot automotive paint myself.

Remember the "semi-gloss" khaki color that YJ Saharas were in the late 1980s? They were a semi-gloss or matt kinda sheen and I don't think this is a two part paint system, just a base. I need to confirm that detail though.

Is this a reasonable paint type to attempt to shoot as a first time vehicle painter? Matt/semi-gloss is normally pretty forgiving right?

I've got a book on the basics of auto painting but are there any other pointers since this is real auto paint versus a flat paint spray bomb? I'd shoot it in my garage (heated) but I don't really have a way to "bake" anything and dust collection, well, there is none.

Is a "standard" replaceable element respirator adequate for this?

I guess I'm just looking for a "go for it" or a "don't waste your time/money, take it to a real painter" kind of response.

The vehicle in question will be "country pinstriped" in no time so I don't need a concours quality paint job but i'd like it to last and not look like ass from 20 feet away.

TIA

Last edited:
Painting has been on my list of things "that would be nice to do" for a long time.

From what I've been able to determine, the paints(Sherwin-Williams urethanes) that can be gotten at the Tire, or PartSource are 'safe' for mask use, but the hardeners contain diisocyanates.

It looks as if you can get away with the proper cartridge, if you are careful. Although, a positive air respirator is what is recommend/approved by NIOSH.

Check this out ....http://www.northsafety.com/usa/en/bs_home.html?PAGEID=151405.

Back