• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wheel cylinders

87xjvabeach

NAXJA Forum User
how is it that every parts store has tried to give me the wrong wheel cylinders?
the part that comes up is too big for the brake assembly. i believe that this is the original rear end. does anyone have any ideas or ever run into this problem?

Yes, this problem can occur depending on whether you have 9 or 10 inch brakes. I'm not sure which models came with which size. My 87 had 10 inch brakes, but maybe yours aren't. Or maybe they gave you the cylinders for 9's. The 10's are narrower than the 9's that seem to be standard on later ones, and I know the two cylinders don't interchange, because my son had the same problem getting the wrong ones for his 9's. I don't remember for sure, but I think they were too long. Whichever one you got the cylinder for, try the other.

Or, as Abraham Lincoln once said in a restaurant: "Waiter, if this is tea, bring me coffee. If this is coffee, bring me tea."

87xjvabeach said:
looks like im upgrading to 10" brakes
There should be two options for a wheel cylinder. What parts stores are you trying? Online, Advance Auto lists two sizes, a 7/8" bore and 15/16" bore.

Take an old one into the store and try to match it up.

The 10" brakes are 10"X1.75" and the 9" brakes are 9"X2.5", so I'm not sure the 10" drum is an upgrade, it might be, it might not be.

I believe the 10" drums were for ABS, and the 9" were for non-ABS, so you might want to make that distinction when ordering the brakes.

NAPA has the right brake parts online, you can even order them, or as my habit with NAPA, I look up the part numbers I want online and then bring in the part numbers to the store.

Sheesh.

Stock XJs with the Dana 35 had 10x1-3/4" brakes from 1984 thru 1990. XJs with the Dana 44 rear axle had 10x2-1/4" rear brakes from 1987 thru 1990. In 1991 Chrysler changed all the rear brakes to 9x2-1/4". The 10" drums have NOTHING to do with ABS.

There should be at least THREE different wheel cylinder options, one for each of the above. The 10x1-3/4 do not use the same wheel cylinders as the 10x2-1/4. Also, they are different by sides.

Make certain the guy on the computer is looking at the correct year, and the correct shoe width.

Back