• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front axle shafts

jeremywhy13

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 88 XJ with a D30. It has a LockRight locker and a Posi-Lok cable actuator replacing the vacuum disconnect. I broke the drivers side axle a couple of days ago and decided that since i had it in the shop that i was going to replace all of the axle seals.

For some reason I cannot get the inner axle shaft out. The outer shaft is out and the cable actuator is removed. The inner shaft comes out about 1 inch then stops.

I have been told several different things about this. First I was told that it should just slide right out. Then I was told that there was a clip that held it in place and I would have to take my locker out to remove it. But I can't take my locker out because the axle shaft is still in it.

I bought the XJ with everything already installed and this is my first time really going into a diff. If anybody knows anything please let me know. It really sucks to have to look at this thing sitting in my shop when I should be out wheelin.

Well, when I took mine out I was able to slide them right out and in...

This is the RH side, correct? Maybe pull the disconnect housing off and try getting a screwdriver in there for some gentle prying? It's quit epossible that when that outer shaft let you it knocked that inner shaft into the gears. It's also possible that in that process it destroyed the gears and/or locker :( So you're going to want to look at that real close before you button it all back up.

Sequoia

I broke my drivers side axle. U-joint let loose and by the time i got it shut down it had sheared the yokes completely off of the axle. The passenger side is still all right. The gears and the locker are all okay too.

The inner axle on the passenger side actually feels like it has some kind of clip on it. When it reaches the limit that it will come out. it has a solid feel to it. I removed the pin from the locker and run a bar through the drivers side to try to tap the axle out. it was solid enough to make my bar bounce outwards in my hand.

You need to dis-assemble the locker while its still in the carrier and in the axle!

I started to do that, but I wasn't really sure how to go about it so i stopped. Like I mentioned earlier, this is my first time to do this. Actually this is my first true 4 wheel drive. I have owned a couple of regular trucks, but they were stockers. I wheeled them for all they were worth though.

Is there anywhere I can get some info on how to take the locker apart.

I have never worked with a lock-rite (like you, I bought my locked '88 30 used/already built... but it was a non-disco housing)

On my 89 MJ disco-30, it DID have a clip that retained the inner PS shaft...I had to remove it to pull the shaft when I installed a true-trac. Unclear if there have been folks who got the clip back in during a lockrite install (or maybe it DOES go back in for those?)

Curious???

I have got the locker out. It was really quite simple. I didn't know what to expect when I started. The guy that I bought the jeep from said that it took him all weekend to put it in and that he would rather pay a shop if he had to do it again.

Now another question. Do I really need to put the clip back on the shaft when I reinstall. I don't think that it is necessary. When you get it all put back together and the axle shaft nut torqued down, the axle isn't going to go anywhere.

It would make it a lot easier if I happen to break an axle and have to fix it on the trail if that clip isn't on there.

Back