• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Steering Cooler Locations

The_Rock

NAXJA Forum User
I read through the post I could find on this but I still have a question. I picked up a late model Explore cooler that I wanted to mount below the radiator idealy behind the large oval whole in the front body metal. This would put the cooler below the box and some of the threads said to place the cooler height between the pump and the box. To do this the only place I cold put it is on the fender near the K&N. This wouldn't be a very good spot to get cool air. Can I locate the cooler lower than the box?

not sure. I just took my grill out since I wanted to mount a big fan with a big tranny cooler and a big powersteering cooler w a couple of computer fans.
The_Rock said:
I read through the post I could find on this but I still have a question. I picked up a late model Explore cooler that I wanted to mount below the radiator idealy behind the large oval whole in the front body metal. This would put the cooler below the box and some of the threads said to place the cooler height between the pump and the box. To do this the only place I cold put it is on the fender near the K&N. This wouldn't be a very good spot to get cool air. Can I locate the cooler lower than the box?

I don't know what the specifics are for wanting to put it height wise between the pump and box. Since the fluid is pumping through a closed system I can't see it making a difference.
I mounted mine in front of the radiator on the drivers side. I have pics somewhere I can send you if you want.

I mounted mine on the fender under the K&N filter.Probably the same place you want to mount yours.It was close enough to use the stock return hose and only needed a short piece of hose to run to the PS resivour(sp). Get the hose used for tranny fluid not just regular rubber hose.
Wayne

Power steering cooler?

Here's where I mounted mine:

DSCF0027.jpg

DSCF0029.jpg

It's easy to mount so I think I will put it down below the radiator and if it gives me problems I'll move it up.

I recently mounted up a PS cooler. When I was installing it I wasn't thinking I should have run the lines under the radiator support, but instead I ran them around the side of the radiator. Do you think it's actually going to make it worse because of the close proximity to the inlet hose? Once the fan kicks on it seems to drop the return line temp significantly. The hose that is right up against the radiator hose is the line going to the cooler.

DSCF1674.jpg

DSCF1671.jpg

Back