• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rust on bumper bracket

Jeepzter29

NAXJA Forum User
so just noticed that rust is starting to form around my rear bumper mount, and i was just wondering what you guys have to say about it... on how i should stop it cuz i dont know what would be the best way. You can see in the pics that you can see right through the hole that its making.... much help would be great! THANKS!

rust6ou.jpg

rustbumper0053lo.jpg

rustbumper0063et.jpg

Older XJs' almost come standard with rust......having said that, remove the bumper & bracket then wire brush down the area & apply some spray-on undercoating.

That is a little more serious than previous pics showed for sure...........short of replacing the panel(rear crossmember) the only other choice would be to try to graft a section in, but not the best of choices.

Jeepzter29 said:
so just noticed that rust is starting to form around my rear bumper mount
Just starting?:roflmao:

some of that is stress cracks/result/rust
been recovered or recovering lately? maybe towing?

whatever/whichever, your bumper seams to be lacking the correct support and your now seeing the results.

a flat pcs of steel could be welded to the face of the area using multible techniques, id go
straight accross the hole thing, predrill 8 areas for your bolt install, make sure you get some
plug welding going on as well, dont just weld the outter perimeter.

Back