• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

np 242 problems

WFOXJ

NAXJA Forum User
89 jeep xj aw4trans np242 tcase 4.10s locked in rear 4.5 lift 32" mtrs. 220,000mile

The problem i have come across is that my transfer case is going into all of its ranges. but none of them in 4 wheel. So i get 2 low and 2 high and 2 part time. I them looked underneath my xj to make sure that the linkage was operating properly and it was .I Then made the assumption that the chain connecting to the other shaft had broke so i pulled the rear section to find that the chain was lose but not broken and i actually had a friend shift the t case and saw that i was actually shifting. I played with the main shaft and it seamed that if i put pressure on it that it would engauge. but other wise only 2 low. if any one could please point me in the right direction it would be highly appricated.
that Paulie C

Doesn't the 89 have a vac disconnect on the front axle ? If so I'd look at the vac lines, one in particular and thats the one that goes under the battery to the vac blimp behind the front passenger side bumper. Battery splooge eats the line. First usual sympton is the defroster/ac vents stop working correctly..
Might be time to go get a bunch of vac hoses from the parts store and spend an afternoon replacing them all being it's an 89...

Thanks for the quick reply, but i do not have the cad axle. and my front drive shaft isnt turning but the jeep is definatly going into 4 low i seperated the t case from the jeep and pulled it apart and come to find that the chain is not broke and i also came to find that it look like in good conditon . Their was play in the planitarys and the shift forks apperd not to be bent. Thanks again

WFOXJ said:
Thanks for the quick reply, but i do not have the cad axle. and my front drive shaft isnt turning but the jeep is definatly going into 4 low i seperated the t case from the jeep and pulled it apart and come to find that the chain is not broke and i also came to find that it look like in good conditon . Their was play in the planitarys and the shift forks apperd not to be bent. Thanks again
If anything was wrong you would not move at all in full time.

Back