• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

smoking/knocking, can I just slap in new bearings/rings?

jeepxotic

NAXJA Forum User
Short recap- found a _really_ deep mud hole late October last year, water up to console level, sat there for about 15 mins before getting out. Jeep was running the entire time. After getting out, noticed really low oil pressure (about 10-20psi at idle), and check engine light. Drove for about 30mins, never got above 20psi. Changed oil, pressure didn't improve, heard slight knocking.

Drove it this way until about a months ago. Pressure showed around 10psi even at highway cruise speeds the entire time. Occasionally it would show 30-35psi on really cold mornings, but would quickly drop off as the engine warmed up. Changed oil several times, even going to 20w-50, no improvement. Coming home on the freeway one day, notice a rather sudden severe lack of power, to the point that it struggles to maintain 45mph. Pull off the road, it almost immediately shuts down. Didn't seem to be overheating, but noticed that it's spewing oil from the rear of the engine pretty good (was in the middle of the night, and I didn't have a light with me to tell exactly where it was coming from). Tried restarting, would barely turn over. Let it sit for about 30mins, was able to get it restarted, knocking like crazy, and made it about 1/8 mile before it shut down again. Towed it home, and there it sat for a month.

Went out this morning, and it fired right up (gotta love those Optimas :)). Oil pressure went right up to 55psi, and stayed there. Obvious loud knocking, and smoking like crazy out the exhaust and from the oil dipstick tube. Only let it run for a couple mins and shut it down.

Now question - what are the chances that I'd be able to just slap a new set of rings and rod/main bearings in this thing and be able to get a few more miles out of it? Was planning on buying a new bike this summer once my tax refund comes in, so I really only need about a month of run time from the Jeep. Oh yeah, jeep is a 94 4.0L.

Slo-Sho said:
I'd just get a boneyard motor, but that's just me.:jester:
I'm with Slo-Sho. I'm getting a junkyard motor for mine, and it's only costing me $250. Heck, it'd be more time, effort, and probably more money (machine shop labor, etc) to rebuild the existing engine.

well, part of the problem is getting it to some place where the engine can be yanked, as well as getting the donor engine here. Kinda hard to strap it to the back of the Huffy, lol.

Back