• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moving to cali

homebrew

NAXJA Forum User
OK so I currently live in hawaii they are big butt holes out here when it comes to modifying an auto. say you wanted to add some bling to your ride as a coworker of mine did adding 22's to a montero sport. the next day he was issued a ticket for not haveing a reconsturcted title permit. By the law out here on Oahu any modifications to you car from adding exhaust to adding or lowering the suspension you have to take it to get it inspected. These guys break out rulers check allignment really picky about the whole process. If you have any stickers on your windows at all except for parking permits they will not pass you unless you tear them off.

To my point just wondering how hard up the law is out in cali, because I have no fender flares and my tires stick out about 5 inches all the way around. I have never had a problem out here Luck or maybe My rig looks like one of the locals dont no. but want is the going rate for no flares/mud flaps???

homebrew said:
OK so I currently live in hawaii they are big butt holes out here when it comes to modifying an auto. say you wanted to add some bling to your ride as a coworker of mine did adding 22's to a montero sport. the next day he was issued a ticket for not haveing a reconsturcted title permit. By the law out here on Oahu any modifications to you car from adding exhaust to adding or lowering the suspension you have to take it to get it inspected. These guys break out rulers check allignment really picky about the whole process. If you have any stickers on your windows at all except for parking permits they will not pass you unless you tear them off.

To my point just wondering how hard up the law is out in cali, because I have no fender flares and my tires stick out about 5 inches all the way around. I have never had a problem out here Luck or maybe My rig looks like one of the locals dont no. but want is the going rate for no flares/mud flaps???

You should have flares but for most part you won't get pulled over for that (unless you piss the cop off somehow). Anyways, biggest thing out here is make sure your rig passes smog.

What all can I do to prep for smog, I was planning on putting on a new cat and changing the O2 sensor. Anything else I should check replace???

Yes, check around for shops that'll let you put $200 bucks on the dash for a smog cert. :shocked:

j/k

homebrew said:
What all can I do to prep for smog, I was planning on putting on a new cat and changing the O2 sensor. Anything else I should check replace???

Here is a link to the Ca dmv website, It may help with your questions as to what is required for out of state vehicles.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/newtoca/newtoca.htm

Tim D.

TheWarWagon said:
Yes, check around for shops that'll let you put $200 bucks on the dash for a smog cert. :shocked:
j/k
I'm just a little confused by your thinking. In order that I may have some form of understanding, please make a short list of 150 or so laws that do not really apply to you. Make a notation on any of those that the rest of us can selectively respect.

TIM

Last edited:
Bent said:
I'm just a little confused by your thinking. In order that I may have some form of understanding, please make a short list of 150 or so laws that do not really apply to you. Make a notation on any of those that the rest of us can selectively respect.

TIM

Only 150? haha

i've driven this hunk'o'junk on a couple thousand miles of CA roadways, no problems. when i had the bed on with no flares or flaps I got pulled over at least 5 times for dumb stuff like tail-lights and never a mention of anything about my tires.

p10102143mo.jpg

the law concerning tire coverage is CVC 27600 (search on CA DMV site), the way it's worded is vague enough that if a cop wants to be a dick, he can, so it depends on the area a lot.

BrettM said:
the way it's worded is vague enough that if a cop wants to be a dick, he can, so it depends on the area a lot.

More likely it depends on if the person being stopped fails the attitude test.

Tim D.

Back