• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternative York mounting location

jdbwrx

NAXJA Forum User
OK, been researching the OBA thing for a while, and have come up with a few questions.

First off, a buddy of mine was given two york compressors and said I could have one. It has the v-belt clutch on it.

The standard mounting location seems to be on the passenger side, with relocating the battery to the driver's side using a diesel tray. This calls for a new alternator pully from Kilby. I understand this set up.

Here is my question though: Why doesn't anyone mount the York on the driver's side? I was thinking I could "piggyback" a v-belt pulley onto the power steering pump pulley, then mount the York into the freespace I have from taking out my stock air box and going with a Rusty's set up. This would require fabbing up a bracket to mount the York up, but it doesn't seem any worse or require any more work than getting it set up on the passenger side. Plus, the v-belt pulleys I was looking at on Summit, seem to have a larger diameter than the alternator pulley. I would think this would mean the pump would fill up the tank faster and work better at lower RPM's. It would also mean not having to move the battery or try and track down the diesel tray.

Does anyone see any major reasons why I couldn't get this to work? Am I missing something?

Does anyone know what the center bore is on the Power Steering pulley for a '99?

The trouble is, you would be hanging a bunch of weight off the end of your intake manifold. Not really the best idea if you run your rig in rough terrain. The passenger side is desirable because the brackets are strong, and closer to the centerline of the engine.

I wasn't planning on mounting it to the intake manifold. The thought was to mount it where th intake box used to be. I would have to fab up some mounts to attach it to the fender well and side panel in that front driver's side corner.

That would work out fine if the engine didn’t ever move. The torque of the motor moves it back and forth you would have to compensate for this movement some how. And if you bolted the compressor to your fender the vibration of the compressor would transfer through the fender to the rest of the jeep and that would be loud and annoying I would think.
I am in the middle of my York install along with 100 other things. If you try it and get it to work let us know.

jwtrapper said:
That would work out fine if the engine didn’t ever move. The torque of the motor moves it back and forth you would have to compensate for this movement some how. And if you bolted the compressor to your fender the vibration of the compressor would transfer through the fender to the rest of the jeep and that would be loud and annoying I would think.
I am in the middle of my York install along with 100 other things. If you try it and get it to work let us know.

Right. The engine moving around I hadn't thought of. So I would need a spring actuated belt tensioner to compensate for that. As for the vibration, rubber grommets on the mounts?

jdbwrx said:
I wasn't planning on mounting it to the intake manifold. The thought was to mount it where th intake box used to be. I would have to fab up some mounts to attach it to the fender well and side panel in that front driver's side corner.
:shocked: :confused1 :eek: :huh:

jdbwrx said:
Right. The engine moving around I hadn't thought of. So I would need a spring actuated belt tensioner to compensate for that. As for the vibration, rubber grommets on the mounts?

or just only attach the belt when you are using air...

no need to clarify. I'm saying yer nutz to even think about an engine driven accessory mounted to the fender well.

just plain loopy.

Saying I am just plain loopy doesn't really help to explain what I am missing.

Would you care to expand on the reasoning?

Let me help to explain this too you,
Get in your Jeep start it up and rev it up in neutral or park.....do you feel that twist do you see the vehicle moving that would be the torque from your engine moving the whole truck, now how will a vbelt work if it is attached to your fender, you cannot compensate for that much movemant==maybe and this is off the deep end you could use a heavy spring to compensate, at this point do the easy side and save yourself the headache.

jdbwrx said:
Saying I am just plain loopy doesn't really help to explain what I am missing.

Would you care to expand on the reasoning?

hook a chain to your rear bumper and to a tree and drive off that should put in laymens terms.
the engine moves a lot revit while looking at the engine

Thank you to those of you with helpful information (jwtrapper, xjranger)

You know what really pisses me off about this forum? Why is it always full of people with attitudes and condescending a$$holes? Seriously, if you can't helpful, or at least be pleasant keep your comments to yourself.

"hook a chain to your rear bumper and to a tree and drive off that should put in laymens terms"

WTF is that about?

OK, the engine moves, I get it. I got it the first time. I am just looking for other options and trying to think outside the box a bit. EXCUUUUUUUUSE ME!

One thing on the rubber grommets... I really don't think they would help. If you have ever watched a shop air comp. start you will notice the whole thing shakes at first. This is what would happen to the fender of your jeep. I really don't think it could handle that. What you could do would be to mount the York on the passanger side of the engine and relocate your battery inside of your Jeep. Your would need an Optima or some other dry cell but it does work. I ran a second battery (side poll only) under the rear seat of my 96 when I had it for my amp and subs. I used welding leads (cheaper than the car audio stuff) back to the relocated battery. I was using a battery switch but you should be able to get away with 0/1 gauge distrobution blocks in the front. I would not you this setup with a winch or fog lights or anything else that pulls a lot of power and you would need a higher output Alt. as well but it does seem like it would work. You guy/gals can correct me if I'm wrong. If you don't want to mess with it you can send it to me. ;)

PS- There are people who will try and explain thing to help the new guys/gals but most people I think expect a level of mechanical/automotive thinking from others on the forum. Don't take this the wrong way.

jdbwrx I have thought about all of thoes options. I realy dont like the idea about moving everything around either to get the compressor to fit where it needs to go. It was so much easier to mount my compressor on my YJ. You could use a winch motor and hook it up to your compressor like the one Oasis sells and put that in the back. I am leaning to the idea of putting the battery in the rear. I already have a yellow top so that wont be a problem. Just need a little bit more room under there. Now if I could just figure out where to mount that extra alternator also, and the second battery, and the supercharger, and the belt driven shower pump and the.......

Ok, read all the advice given regarding mounting the compressor on the fender. I've seen this approach in a boat for on board refrigeration. Compressor mounted to hull of boat, linked to engine with v-belt. It works. It's not the best solution, but if it will work full-time in a marine application (stiffer engine mounts), it would probably work for the occasional use to refill tires. Use some sort of over-center lever to engage when needed (like an old lawn mower clutch; something that would allow you to leave the belt off except when you needed to run the compressor. Generally, when filling tires, your not reving the engine up and down, so not a lot of movement going on. Thinking outside the box should be encouraged. That's my .02.

Back