• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LCA Noise.

beckXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well, last weekend we put some new LCA's on my XJ. They made a hell of a difference in the ride, not harsh at all anymore. Ever since we replaced them, there has been a noise (sounds like a metal on metal clank) when I brake or reverse. The control arms aren't adjustable so it can't be the thread hitting each other. My thought is that when I replaced the bolts (had to cut them off...long story) and the head on the bolt I replaced them with isn't as big, and I didn't use a washer. I'm gonna put a washer on there and hopefully that will cancel out that annoying noise. If you guys have any thoughts as to what it might be let me know. I'd appreciate it.

P.S. I just claybar'd my XJ, I'll post some pictures in a little bit to show you how wonderfully she cleans up.

Who's arms?

My guess would be the bolts were a little smaller leaving a little play for them to move while braking or accelerating

RCP Phx said:
Who's arms?

Rusty's

LilRedRover said:
My guess would be the bolts were a little smaller leaving a little play for them to move while braking or accelerating

That might be a possibility, but the bolts I replaced them with aren't that much smaller to move around that much in the eyelet. If they are any smaller than the ones that they replaced, it's only by a fraction of a millimeter.

MISFIT said:
it could also be your bushings on the LCAs.

I don't think so, brand new bushings on brand new arms.

Back