• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

exhaust kit

bacelaw

NAXJA Forum User
i need a complete exhaust system (except for the manifold).

so exhaust pipe, muffler, cat, tailpipe, hangers, clamps and both.

autozone has the cheap muffler, and cat for 119.00...they prob. have the hangers and clamps as well.

here's my question: is there a place to get the whole package in a kit? is there a website with clearly indicated parts and prices for this stuff??

i have a 96, 4.0, awd..

call jegs or summit racing. get an inexpensive cat back system and a high flow cat. should be able to do it for less than $200

cat-back?

i dont understand that term...

i looked at rusty's stuff...

do the sites you mention sell everything as a package? down pipe, muff, cat, tailpipe, brackets, hangers??

"Cat-back" is short for an exhaust system stretching from the catalytic converter back, but not including the catalytic converter itself.

The cheapest OEM type exhaust I ever found was made by Walker, the cheapest performance exhaust was a Jeg's brand truck exhaust for the Cherokee. Both systems were a slip-on install behind the converter and were aluminized. I've not seen a catalytic converter included with a "cat-back" exhaust, at least online.

There should be hooks already welded to the new pipes for any exhaust system, and you will need to reuse your hangers. Clamps and bolts are always included, but they are usually low grade steel.

I studied doing this myself on my own jeeps and gave up. I left it to a reputable shop to pick the components and do the inlet/outlet diameter and length matching.

92DripCherokee said:
The cheapest OEM type exhaust I ever found was made by Walker, the cheapest performance exhaust was a Jeg's brand truck exhaust for the Cherokee. Both systems were a slip-on install behind the converter and were aluminized. I've not seen a catalytic converter included with a "cat-back" exhaust, at least online.

There should be hooks already welded to the new pipes for any exhaust system, and you will need to reuse your hangers. Clamps and bolts are always included, but they are usually low grade steel.
thanks - one of my hangers is rusted, and gonzo...i was told that autozone or similar parts store would sell the hangers - i guess they bolt in from the floor.

check out this link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-00-Jeep-Cherokee-Muffler-and-Converter-Exhaust_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33630QQitemZ8009771108QQrdZ1

looks like the cat, muffler, tailpipe, one hanger, and the clamps - then all i would need is the down pipe and another hanger??

i understand it's a major pain in the ass - meineke wants $600-700 for the job...if i can get the parts for $300, ill do it and waste a weekend....thats how a poor law student rolls!!

Try looking around your area for a non name brand muffler shop. Like Bobs muffler shop or something like that. Get a quote from 3-4 of them. You can get a much better price than 6-700.00.

I had a dual exhaust system custom made for my 66' Dodge (no cats) w/2 mufflers, two sets of pipes and an H crossover pipe for a little over 200.00 ! Installed and guranteed.

Its at a shop about 3 hours north of you in Fryeburg, Maine. (by North Conway, NH)

I personally stay away from those big name places because they want twice as much as what the jobs worth.

Good luck,
Ken

last year i got a cat, muffler and tailpipe from autozone for $120, i belive quadratec sells the downpipes

klonestar said:
I had a dual exhaust system custom made for my 66' Dodge (no cats) w/2 mufflers, two sets of pipes and an H crossover pipe for a little over 200.00 ! Installed and guranteed.

I personally stay away from those big name places because they want twice as much as what the jobs worth.

how is a muffler job on a '66 dodge comparable to a jeep? i can put a new muffler on my lawn mower for $9.99, but that doesn't say much about the jeep either.

i looked at the walker, i think i'll buy the ebay special - anyone check that link?

bacelaw said:
how is a muffler job on a '66 dodge comparable to a jeep? i can put a new muffler on my lawn mower for $9.99, but that doesn't say much about the jeep either.

i looked at the walker, i think i'll buy the ebay special - anyone check that link?
Dual exhaust versus single (Jeep) exhaust. Dual exhaust is twice the material and twice the work.:)

klonestar said:
Dual exhaust versus single (Jeep) exhaust. Dual exhaust is twice the material and twice the work.:)

yup - no catalytic converter ($100+), and new hampshire, im in boston, the cost of living is a tiny bit higher.

bacelaw said:
yup - no catalytic converter ($100+), and new hampshire, im in boston, the cost of living is a tiny bit higher.

Exactly. So half the system is lets say 100.00 + cat 100.00= installed 200.00 not 6-7 hundred and because your in Boston where theres a whole bunch more shops they have to be more competitive in pricing. Lucky you, up here we have like two shops, no competition. :(

Im just saying it does pay to shop around and do try the smaller shops. They dont have the overhead the big shops have. It would cost nothing but a few phone calls.

Also, maybe its just me but I've never had any luck with the clamp together systems.

Thats a great price but its a rough job.
The down pipe (aka header pipe) is the greatest bear of all. The two bolts holding it to the exhaust manifold are likely rusted so badly they'll need to be ground, cut or acetylene torched off. You could try soaking the bolts with penetrating oil and attacking them with a breaker bar. If you round off the bolts, (which is likely) you'll need an exhaust shop. Trouble is, they likely won't stop at sending you off with a disconnected header pipe. Round the bolts, and youre committed to finishing the job!

Raising the Jeep securely on jackstands (centered on the underbody lift points) is a must for the install, but the removal part of the job could be done at ground level if you make an extra cut to break the taipipe in two sections. But getting the new tailpipe over the rear axle will require raising the rear end up. Make sure you know your lift points, not just any spot is ok so check your owner's or repair manual for your Jeep's lift points. Never use the jack alone to support the jeep though, leave that stunt to pit crews! Make sure you chock your front wheels first before raising the Jeep, and set your E-brake etc.

If you dont want to spend the money on a chain-type pipe cutter to section the header pipe in front of the cat, hacksawing squarely through an exhaust while under a jeep is possible. Ring the spot with tape where you're going to cut, wrapping around several times. The tape is a guide to make sure your cut is circular, and not twisted. It also protects the pipe from your first few attempts to start the saw's cut. If you saw through the aluminum skin of the exhaust pipe it will rust through there.

Once the new exhaust system is on its hangers, the cat slipped over the "downpipe" outlet, the muffler slipped over the cat outlet, and the tailpipe slipped over the muffler outlet, the clamps need to be positoned squarely and the clamps tightened to very slightly crush the pipes. Overtightening the clamps can cause a leak nearly as bad as undertightening.

These are only suggestions from my experience, your install may differ if you dont have a flange-type converter but already have a slip-on type. If you're replacing the down pipe, the new one may come with a flange, which you may need to cut off and flare to slip over the new cat's inlet.

I did look at the Ebay sytem, it is a slip-on and probably has a Walker muffler judging by the stamping on the case.

Back