• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BFG or Mickey Thompson

trekn

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2001 DD with a 2in lift, and need new tires, I live up in the mtns of colorado. I do a little offroading, and am wondering if the BFG AT's are as good, or better than the Mickey Thompson ATZ.

i'd pick a tire that's widely avaliable, at almost any tire place. if you tear one up and need a replacement, you want to have a new tire that matches the rest. in a pinch, it could be hard for you to get a mickey thompson tire, i bet you could find a BF goodrich quickly if need be.

The good thing about Mickey Thompson tires, used to be they generally had a higher speed rating than other tires. I don't really know if that has changed or not.
if your not planning on running at triple digit speeds, it's probably irrelevant. They may now make Mickey Thompson tires in normal speed ratings. I used to like there wrap around tread design. I do a lot of mud and every little bit of tread helps (though the design did seem to be a little more cosmetic than functional).
A lot of guys around here ran Mickey Thompsons (no speed limits on the autobahn) I've never heard anything bad about them, here.
There is now a whole selection of speed rated, AT's and MT's available, Mickey Thompson was in a class of it's own for awhile.

I have BFGs on my DD, great on road manners, little noise. Wearing great, too. Dry traction isn't bad and Ive done some mud. Very good all around tire. Definately recommended for the light wheeler/DD.

Back