• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help; which transfer skid?

XJNASH

NAXJA Forum User
tnt all the way for the clearance------------Kyle

P.S.------I have the dpg and I love it as it is beefy as hell, but it really takes up the clearance----------kyle

XJNash,

What you need, and when you need it (versus what you want) have a lot to do with where and how you wheel. Being in Lousiana I assume that mud and stumps are your biggest foe, not falling off of rocks and bashing things. Your signature line impies you are stock.

Assuming this is correct......

Might I suggest you consider a junk yard stock transfer case skid and then put he dollars saved into a bastard pack and a set of 3.5 to 4.5 inch springs for the front, some brake lines and cheap Monroe shocks. This would get you up out of harms way to some extent (bigger rocks and stumps can always be found) and also get your basic protection for your transfer case. While many argue about it, I feel that a gas tank skid is just ahead of a transfer case skid, but thats based on my California wheeling experience.

John

No, not stock far from it. I have a 95 XJ 5 speed AX15 w/ NP231,D44 w/trac-loc &4.56's, D30 with 4.56's ARB,3" Super Lift with 2" spacers front, Add a leaf in rear with 1"block and 1.25 shackel. Custom 4x4 rear bumper and tire carrier. OBA w/Tank and air distribution manifold. 32" x11.50 Super swampers on AR767. Front factory skid with warn winch bumper accompanied by Warn 8274 winch, RE Quick disconnects and AJ Offroads Rocker guards, Teraflex upper adj controle arms with Rusty Lower fixed, Rustys HD Track bar and mount, Factory XJ Gas skid.

nosigma I stay far away from mud its evil. we go to Gilmer, TX or Hot Springs and rocks do jump out at ya at those locations.

So that being said what would u suggest?

Last edited:
TnT or Full Traction belly pans. All the way. If you get the TnT one, you could get the one for the Long Arms and then you'll be set when you go bigger!

They (TNT) will not sell it with the longarm mounts already on it. I have already tried. I was thinking of buying it and then buying their longarms that they make for it later to run longarms but they will not sell it with the mounts on it.-----------------Kyle

yes, but I have seen it that they will put the mounts in for you at a later time when you buy the longarm kit.
I bought a Warn t-case skid. It's 3/16, and was a nice fit.
MVC-001S.JPG

MVC-002S.JPG

I dragged it over some stuff at WF and it's just scratched.
I was the dirt cheap, so if you think that's good enough then save the money for when you do get longarms. and get a whole new x-member.

I'm surprised more people haven't tried the Tomken one. Its dirt cheap at 90 bucks, and it looks like its a full belly skid. Has anyone got experience with it? Also, theres one in the quadratec catalog that looks like it, and its darn near the same price, any experience with that one?

When I get one, I'll prolly go with the warn. I dont do anything too crazy around here in indiana, plus I'm poor.

Just buck up for the TNT with longarms, you wont be disapointed.
The warn skid is puney at 3/16'', TNT's is 1/4'' plate.
For the extra money it's worth it.
And there arms sweet.

I made my own for about $30USD out of 8mm plate (thicker than 1/4 plate). It looks low but that is also because I raised the bottom of the stock crossmember and plated that with 8mm as well, the skid is no lower than the stock NP242 skid. There are also two bolts through the side plate and chassis rail that I hadn't put in when I took this pic.

If you can kinda weld it's not hard.

crossmember_026.sized.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Personally, I like Rusty's. I have all of his skids except for the gas tank, because it wouldn't work with my aftermarket hitch. Anyway, they are all very well built and have taken a pretty good beating with only minor scratches. The only complaint I have, and it is probably due to living in the salt belt, is that his powder coating likes to flake off at the edges after a couple of years.

Back