• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can you flip an axle

redneckjeeper94

NAXJA Forum User
I have got a 1988 grand wagoneer with dana 44 front and rear, the front being a drivers side drop. My buddy has a cj-5 with a dana 30 44 and passenger side drop, he has a buddy that can weld all the mounting brackets and the rear will work but is there a way you can flip the front axle to where the pumkin is on the other side and weld new brakets on the other side?, like i said the brakets wont be a problem just wanna know if the axle will still work the same if we flip it, i dont see a reason y not but i dont know much about axles.

can you flip an axle?

I have got a 1988 grand wagoneer with dana 44 front and rear, the front being a drivers side drop. My buddy has a cj-5 with a dana 30 44 and passenger side drop, he has a buddy that can weld all the mounting brackets and the rear will work but is there a way you can flip the front axle to where the pumkin is on the other side and weld new brakets on the other side?, like i said the brakets wont be a problem just wanna know if the axle will still work the same if we flip it, i dont see a reason y not but i dont know much about axles.

People do it... but people jump off bridges too. I personally feel that you are taking a huge risk with a Low Pinion axle and flipping it to a High Pinion. Mostly with oiling the pinion bearings. I know people who do it, but they are not the brightest on the block.

So the answer is... Yes you CAN, but NO you SHOULDN'T.

Matt

Scrappy said:
People do it... but people jump off bridges too. I personally feel that you are taking a huge risk with a Low Pinion axle and flipping it to a High Pinion. Mostly with oiling the pinion bearings. I know people who do it, but they are not the brightest on the block.

Matt

wouldnt it rotate the other way?

wouldnt you need a rear engine to make that work?

Re: can you flip an axle?

Yes, it will work fine.......

......if you power the axles through a reverse rotation marine motor. :D

redneckjeeper94 said:
Unfortunately, no, you can't flip an axle. If you flipped it, all of the passageways that provide oil to the pinion would be on the roof of the axle. Fried bearings real quick! Also all of the steering and alignment angles would be completely wrong. You'd have to cut off both knuckles and rotate them 180 degrees. Not to mention it would be rotating in reverse. Good luck!

Scrappy said:

Matt

Scrap,

Are you hitting the wacky weed?

Please trace a power flow diagram out on paper, then come back and re-post.

Scrappy said:

Matt

Think about it.
You'll only have one forward gear and 4 or 5 reverse gears.
The only way to alleviate that is torun portal boxes.

jfxj75 said:
Unfortunately, no, you can't flip an axle. If you flipped it, all of the passageways that provide oil to the pinion would be on the roof of the axle. Fried bearings real quick! Also all of the steering and alignment angles would be completely wrong. You'd have to cut off both knuckles and rotate them 180 degrees. Not to mention it would be rotating in reverse. Good luck!
good answers, and yet you didn't hit the most imporant reason.

BrettM said:
I call BS. pics?

There's one...
picture.JPG

BrettM said:
good answers, and yet you didn't hit the most imporant reason.

I know, I know, I know!

Your ball joints would be upside down! Duh.....

Also, you'll need to switch to left-hand thread lug nuts, or your wheels will fall off.

what if you removed the tubes from the pumpkin and swapped sides, then swapped knuckles? Just curious.

87manche said:
what if you removed the tubes from the pumpkin and swapped sides, then swapped knuckles? Just curious.

Well, technically that would work. But why when you can get a pass drop waggy axle from a late 70's wagoneer? People (myself included) try too hard to save a buck. In the end, you wind up spending nearly the same amount of money and you have wasted countless hours.

but now that you mention it, the left hand lug nuts just might do the trick!

Back