• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheapest source for Hub bearings?

Scott Mac. said:
Hey you cheap SOB. where have you been hiding? :anon:

Last time I bought 'em I paid $110 at Autozone.

Not hiding Scott...just been real busy with new job and remodeling the house. :angel:

I'll hit ya backchannel.

Update: Tapco does not carry the Timken brand hub bearing assemblies. Too bad...the price was right too.

Looks like i'll hit AutoZone.

Pardon my ignorance, but is there a diffrence from the Timken hub bearings?

Chris

When I removed the hubs off my 88 XJ they had SKF bearings, the replacements I got from Hagars also had SKF bearings.

So in 1988 SKF was the OEM source for front hub bearings. I change the hubs at 135,000 miles just as a preventive measure. I spun the old hubs and still still were smooth, no roughness.

With the consolidation of bearing companies there only a few companies that even make bearings any more.

From my experience dealing with Aviation bearings there is not much a company can do to make a bearing cheaper and still have it work. Also bearing companies hold tollerences so tight you can mate a race from one plant with a bearing from another plant and have trouble free operation.

As long as it is a name brand bearing company I'd use them on my 88 XJ. I have SKF now, but if the hubs came with Timken, Fafnir, New harmpshire Ball Bearing, Split Ball Bearing or Torrington tapered roller bearings I'd use with without worry.

There just too much liability for make a inferior breaing in today's world. Remember the guy who assembles the hub will also be held liable. I think I'd be more worried about the lube in the preassembled hubs than the brand of bearings they used.

Back