• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need leafs.....help!!

tcm glx

NAXJA Member #1033
Any experience with the Rough Country Leafs...I need some leafs ASAP!! Anyone have some they want to sell me?

call them direct for 89$ ea with the bushings for 4.5" and like 110 for 3.5".....

ROBERTK said:
call them direct for 89$ ea with the bushings for 4.5" and like 110 for 3.5".....

Damn, i just called, and they said 120 per spring (4.5") and $30 per bushing......where'd you get that quote...

Hey Robert, also, on another note, you still want the 2 spacers..they are all yours if so!! Shoot me a PM

yeah I will take the spacers.. just have to find time to get out there. I am in yorba linda, so not that far but its the traffic that kills the drive.

As for the springs. RC - 1 800-222-7023 x 114 (Ben) tell him a bud just bought some leafs (robert kobal if it matters) and he gave them to me for 180pr for 4.5 with shipping they totaled 225, and that was with bushings. the 3.5's were 210 plus shipping. They took like 3 days to get. Those were thier normal, call in in regards to a ebay listing, price.

BUT If BDS make them I would Much rather of had gone thiers for the price. I just boght a pair of 4" YJ fronts for only 227 complete, and they are teflon lined, full military wrap at Both ends, and a bit higher quality as I am told. Try High Roller motorsports at 714-625-0500. Took them one day to get the BDS's and great guy to deal with I felt.

tcm glx said:
Any experience with the Rough Country Leafs...I need some leafs ASAP!! Anyone have some they want to sell me?
Look into RE leafs. I don't think I paid much more then that and I think that they are much better.

well just found that the BDS are only 152pr and liek 16$ for urthene bushings. Oh plus shipping and the guy charged I think 35$ for the last pair of leafs.

IMO I would rather do BDS the RE.. but the BDS are only 3".

I just bought RE 5.5" leafs and I think i paid 140/ea.. but they make good leafs for a trail rig that takes some load.

Kejtar said:
Squeek squeek squeek

just a dab of Graphite grease, just like any other bushing...

Squeaking is caused by high frequency vibrations that can be heard rather than felt. It is usually caused by lack of lubrication, poor installation, incorrect part....

ROBERTK said:
just a dab of Graphite grease, just like any other bushing...

Squeaking is caused by high frequency vibrations that can be heard rather than felt. It is usually caused by lack of lubrication, poor installation, incorrect part....
As it flexes over bumps: squeek squeek squeek

I dont understand.. Are you saying the teflon liners are going to squeek?

ROBERTK said:
I dont understand.. Are you saying the teflon liners are going to squeek?
No. I had a set of Tomkens with poly bushings and as the leafs flexed and rotated on the bushings, they squeeked like crazy. Also with poly on both ends they will not flex as good. IIRC if one wants to go with poly, only one end should get poly and another rubber to allow for a little bit of twist. In any case, I've had poly and now I have rubber and I don't think I will ever go to poly again in a rig that is driven to and from the trail.

Dont mean to hijack.....

Getting ready to replace leafs and shackles and 'was' planning on using all 6 poly bushings. Will see more street and mild trailing than big rocks. You saying dont go w/polys? Was looking at greasable ones for more $$. Major concern for me is tons of salt and sand in the winter here.

Thanks,
Ken

I have run my springs currently with the poly, as well as a literally installed or ran my self, dozens of control arms with poly bushings all with out issues. Its all in the type or grease, fitment of bushings, and the care to lube them about once a year or there abouts. In the control arms on a TJ they see more forces and alot more deflection then a rear spring on a XJ and only after about 25K or a few yrs will I ever hear them and thats when I either lube them or recom. to the owner to.

just use a Quality syn. grease with a graphite power mixed in to it and you will Never have problems. Just use about a toothpaste cap worth of graphite per table spoon of grease. Total cost for graphite and valvoline syn grease about 20$ and it will last you till you either die or build a dozen rigs.

I would be more concerned with the metal on metal and the quality of the leaf spring material, not allowing the flex, not so much the bushing.

I will NEVER run a poly bushing again on a leaf. They flex less and make fo much stinkin noise no matter how much/type grease one can use. My .02.

(Stepping off soap box)

Last edited:
ROBERTK said:
I have run my springs currently with the poly, as well as a literally installed or ran my self, dozens of control arms with poly bushings all with out issues. Its all in the type or grease, fitment of bushings, and the care to lube them about once a year or there abouts. In the control arms on a TJ they see more forces and alot more deflection then a rear spring on a XJ and only after about 25K or a few yrs will I ever hear them and thats when I either lube them or recom. to the owner to.
We're talking about springs not control arms

I would be more concerned with the metal on metal and the quality of the leaf spring material, not allowing the flex, not so much the bushing.
Well... then you haven't dealt much with poly bushings in leaf springs.....

Done deal, just got off the phone, and they set me all up!!! SWEEET!

Kejtar said:
We're talking about springs not control arms

Well... then you haven't dealt much with poly bushings in leaf springs.....

A leaf will "flex" or a better way to look at it, create much less torsional forces on a bushing then a Control arm. A control arm rotates on those bushings on a reg occurrence. So comparing a CA to a leaf is still very similar even giving the leaf a little advantage in this case.

Currently in my springs and the CJ in my garage, as well as other applications in the past.

If your worried about such minuscule amount of flex that the urethene will limit as opposed to the rubber (guessing about 3deg less) then you really should look in to a 4 link maybe?

FYI when you order the Full Traction "Deaver" leaf set for thier 6" long arm system kit, they come with a bushing kit that makes poly seem like a pillow. I want to say they are delrin but not to sure. Now those I would not run due to the Steel like properties..

tcm glx said:
Done deal, just got off the phone, and they set me all up!!! SWEEET!

Whose did you go with?

ROBERTK said:
A leaf will "flex" or a better way to look at it, create much less torsional forces on a bushing then a Control arm. A control arm rotates on those bushings on a reg occurrence. So comparing a CA to a leaf is still very similar even giving the leaf a little advantage in this case.

Currently in my springs and the CJ in my garage, as well as other applications in the past.

If your worried about such minuscule amount of flex that the urethene will limit as opposed to the rubber (guessing about 3deg less) then you really should look in to a 4 link maybe?

FYI when you order the Full Traction "Deaver" leaf set for thier 6" long arm system kit, they come with a bushing kit that makes poly seem like a pillow. I want to say they are delrin but not to sure. Now those I would not run due to the Steel like properties..
:confused: miniscule? There is quiet a bit of a twist to the bushings when you're fully flexed out with one tire stuffed all the way in the wheel well and the other dropped all the way down.........

Back