• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear bumpstop

KSXJ

NAXJA Forum User
My rear bumpstop bolts broke while trying to upgrade them. So instead of welding, since I don't know how, here is what I was thinking.

Making a plate like this
100_1955.jpg

But making it bigger so I can attach the bump stop on the side of it(aka - side of the spring) Then putting a plate on the bottom of the unibody that the bump stop would hit. Basically reversing the way the bumpstops work.

any ideas, comments, suggestions????

I think that is a perfectly good solution but once you make the custom spring plate and then mount a plate to the inubody you could have found a way to reattach the bumpstop to the frame quicker and easier.

Again, I do think your plan would work though.

I am planing on using self tapping screws to the unibody for the plate, since there wont be much resistance, but if I used those with the bumpstops, I would be afraid that it wouldn'd hold. What is your thoughts?

I beleive Dirk at DPG sells the exact thing your tryin to setup... www.dpgoffroad.com

kscherokee said:
My rear bumpstop bolts broke while trying to upgrade them. So instead of welding, since I don't know how, here is what I was thinking.

Making a plate like this
100_1955.jpg

But making it bigger so I can attach the bump stop on the side of it(aka - side of the spring) Then putting a plate on the bottom of the unibody that the bump stop would hit. Basically reversing the way the bumpstops work.

that is supposed to hit the original position of the bumpstop. But I want to put the bumpstop on the plate attached to the leafs. Then put a thinner plate with self tapping screws on the unibody for the bumpstop to hit.

It will work fine. I have that set up right now, except with the upper still attached. Just extend the lower one a bit and it'll work just the same. My bumpstops are really only and inch appart at the moment, but it keeps me from rubbing!
standard

If you look, you'll see that the lower bumpstop is slightly off center. That's because when the axle flexes, it will hit in a different spot than if it just compresses. So be very aware of that when placing your bumpstop. You wouldn't want your bumpstop to miss the frame rail and let your jeep get all tore up.

kscherokee said:

Making a plate like this
100_1955.jpg

That is a nice pic.
That looks like a pro job there.
Must of cost a small fortune.

Haleyes said:
That is a nice pic.
That looks like a pro job there.
Must of cost a small fortune.
I think the DA built them at work. Out of the scrap bin none the less. JIM.

ILLXJ said:
I think the DA built them at work. Out of the scrap bin none the less. JIM.

I need your defination of "DA" before I reply.:D

JEONLYEP said:
I'm just curious, why do you still have a rear sway bar? Do you disconnect it while off road? Looks like you have done a lot to your XJ, I'm just surprised to see a sway bar still there.

DAryl

I leave it connected (didn't weld any disconnects in it) because I really don't need crazy articulation in the back out here where I wheel. Also, its my daily driver and I do a ton of highway driving and I really don't like the feeling of my rear end swaying on the road. It's personal preference really. I had it out for a long time and finally had enough and threw it back in. Just don't like the feeling. Plus, I get good enough articulation out of it already to not need any more at the moment. One of these days, I'll weld in some disconnects, but not right now.

ILLXJ said:
Dumb A$$.

Post Reported.
You made fun of me.
Booo Hooo.

what kinda articulation to do you really get? you said they were an inch apart, I guess an inch is plenty? If that were the case why the 6" lift and 35" tires? just wondering

Flex is overrated.
Lockers aren't.

Not knocking your rig,but with only an inch of articulation in the rear it seems that in a hard turn(aka.evasive ) the body would lean enough to contact the bumpstops before the sway bar would come into play???

Just wondering....

Last edited:
The reason for the small flex at the moment is because I can't run fenderless in VA, not to mention Washington D.C. Since I cannot affort flares at the moment, trimming is not an option. In about 3 or 4 months I'm getting flares and will be able to trim to my hearts content and increase my flex in the rear. Truthfully though, flex is overrated. I can droop my suspension until all the way which is more than needed. Also, look at the bumpstop that I installed. It has holes cut in the side allowing for progressive bumpstoppage instead of a hard solid hit. In all reality I have about 4-5" of up travel before my axle will not go any further. It performs quite well offroad actually. I forgot to mention that it is a daily driver as well, so I really can't have it just sitting around waiting for the flares. =) Jeepdeepfreak----you'd be surprised when the swaybar actually works for ya. I thought the same thing and took it off, but with it off, just the side wind that prevails on I-95 out here, I sway like a sailboat in the wind.

Back