• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

crank shaft position sensor

HandBuiltXJ

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 4.6 stroker (89 block, 96 head, 93 intake/wiring/comp) I am not
getting spark, i think i have traced it down to my ckps not sending the pulse to the computer. I am using an 89 flexplate, a 93 sensor and a 93 computer/ wiring harness. I learned last night that the ckps (crankshaft position sensor) and flexplate changed around 1990 so the part numbers are different between the 89 and 93 parts. My question is, can i spice an 89 ckps into my 93 harness and will it work properly. As in, does the 89 and 93 ckps send the same signal? i know you test the votage on a 93 ckps to test it, but on an 89 you measure resistance, any thoughts????
I am about to pull my tranny and 89 flexplate and bolt my 96 flexplate on, what a pain....

john

Not sure if it will work. But before you do that, have you tried to jump the ceramic resistor on the resistor, & Ohm'd out the coil? Much easier to replace either. If both seem to check out then I would check into the CPS. Last time, I suspected the CPS, turned out to be the coil after I changed the CPS :-\.

Good luck
Rob

The 93 cps will not work with the 89 flexplate. You either need a newer flexplate, or convert the cps to run off of the balancer on the front of the engine. I moved mine to the front.

you can get the harmonic balancer with the CPS from hesco.

is the fuel pump turning on with key turn?

dropped tranny, put on my 96 flex plate, and my baby was born at 1030 last night. bad fuel leak coming out of the fuel pressure test fitting on the rail, so i am going to change that out tonight and put in m 24 lb injectors and try to set the timing. but ITS ALIVE. i wish i would have new bout the harm balance way, it took me from 430 to 1030 to drop tran and bolt everything back together. But that cigar tasted sweeeeeeet, chased down by a homebrew irish stout that i started brewing a month ago, oh yeah....

john

The harmonic balancer setup is over $200! The time was worth the money you saved. Nice job and enjoy!

i have a 2000 xj im having problems with staling when its at a idle it only happens once in awhile i brought to a jeep dealer they checked the fuel and replaced some wiring in the harnese they said it was fixed WRONG it still does it they hooded it up to there computers and nothing comes up. so some one says it might be the CRANK SHAFT CENSOR or spark well my qestion is could it be the crank shaft and were is it on the 2000 and is it hard to get at PLEASE HELP

Back