• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 VS 9inch

ExNews4XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I'm swaping axles on the old cherokee and I'm pretty set on running a front LP Dana 44 out of a FSJ with Ford hubs and 5x5.5 lug pattern. Now the tricky part is finding a mathcing rear axle. The Front is 60" WMS to WMS and 5x5.5 so the rear needs to be close. I have found a LP Dana 44 out of a Scout II which is 60" WMS to WMS and 5x5.5, 30 spline for $100 drum to drum. The only other axle I can think of is a 9inch out of an Early Bronco which is about 59" WMS to WMS and 5x5.5 but it is 28 spline and about $250 Drum to Drum. I know the 9inch can be upgraded but I'm trying to keep the costs down and custom axles are not in the mix right now, plus I have a 28 spline Detroit for the 9inch. At this point I'm leaning towards the scout axle just because it is cheap and has a ton aftermarket stuff availble. How will the 44 hold up in the rocks with 35's and a full body (ie more weight than a chopped rig.) Or is there another axle I'm not thinking of with close to a 60" WMS to WMS and 5x5.5 Wheel Pattern. Thanks for any help.

The 9 inch was also very popular in alot of cars. If I remember correctly it is almost the perfect width for an xj if it is out of one of fords full size cars, but I am not 100% sure. However, the cars used a slightly weaker 9" than the trucks did, i think it was a smaller pinion bearing or support, but they where 5 on 5.5.

I have a 9 in. out of a 72 F100. It is Approx. 60.5" WMS to WMS. It is also the 28 spline version. JIM.

The "weak" Ford 9 inch is still stronger then a 35 and is a good dif. behind the 6 banger for all but the hardest use. If that is a real concern of yours.
As for the wheel to wheel measurement. (IMO) It's best to just get out there with a tape and do the measurement. IT can and does change for year to year on cars. With pickups it changes with years,models and/or load ratings.

badron said:
The "weak" Ford 9 inch is still stronger then a 35 and is a good dif. behind the 6 banger for all but the hardest use. If that is a real concern of yours.
As for the wheel to wheel measurement. (IMO) It's best to just get out there with a tape and do the measurement. IT can and does change for year to year on cars. With pickups it changes with years,models and/or load ratings.

Did you mean to say 35? Anything is stronger than a d35, lol.

You could order a housing from Currie and add junkyard F150 parts to it. (Nodular 3rd, 31 spline shafts, etc)

Go with the dana 44, the ford 9 inch axles have the pinion way down low and it will drag on everything, plus the dana 44 has 30 spline axles. You also want your rear axle to be slightly narrower than the front axle, this makes your jeep turn very tight!

ZachMan said:
You could order a housing from Currie and add junkyard F150 parts to it. (Nodular 3rd, 31 spline shafts, etc)

why not use a Ford Truck Housing and get a HP 3rd with 35 spline!!!! how much $ u wanna drop

skyjackedxj96 said:
why not use a Ford Truck Housing and get a HP 3rd with 35 spline!!!! how much $ u wanna drop

Cause Curries housing is

1. 2x as strong

2. cut to any width you want.

ExNews4XJ said:
Ok so I'm swaping axles on the old cherokee and I'm pretty set on running a front LP Dana 44 out of a FSJ with Ford hubs and 5x5.5 lug pattern.
It is easer to just get an 82 Dodge power wagon hubs and rotors. Direct bolt on and you can still use the FSJ's brake calibers and brackets which are Chevy anyways. That is what I have on mine.

ZachMan said:
Cause Curries housing is

1. 2x as strong

2. cut to any width you want.

Yea why not just do a Currie Hi 9 and put one in the front to. Oh yea that's what I was dreaming about last night until I woke up and realized that I'm not Bill Gates. :D But seriously I am trying to stay away from the custom stuff so that I can go to parts store for brakes and wrecking yard for axles.

c130herc said:
It is easer to just get an 82 Dodge power wagon hubs and rotors. Direct bolt on and you can still use the FSJ's brake calibers and brackets which are Chevy anyways. That is what I have on mine.

Everything bolts together using Ford parts as well. I am using the Chevy small bearing spindles and the Ford hub and rotors bolt right onto these spindles and I am still using the stock FSJ/chevy calipers and brackets. No modification and everything looks stock.

Back