• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

whop noise on a 93 xj

lyle ide

NAXJA Forum User
still driving me crazy, my xj started to get a whopping noise when i apply the brakes, but only after i got new tires, some said it was the bushings, well after a lot of fun putting new bushing on the whopping was still there i thought fine let it be, then i went to get a state inspection only to be told that the rear drums where worn to much, couldn't see it but it measured more than it was allowed. so i got new drums but did not need shoes? and the whopping stopped only for 900 miles then it came back again! and guess what my drums are over sized again, my question is what in the h*ll is going on could it be a bent axle? i had people follow behind and every body say's that they did not see any shimmying or wobble, i might use a 44 for it but that is not an axle its a caliber!!! this thing has been raping me since i got it, any help?

Probably going to loose my membership for this but I cant resist, its just to easy....

Your running Pirelli's arent you?

Last edited:
And they are real low on pressure arent they?

Last edited:
As I am sure you know

It dem eye Talian tires, when daygo flat daygo whop whop whop

Last edited:
My old friend DiPaulo says ya probably got Italian tires. Dago wopwop all the time, it's normal. But you know those spaghetti benders, sometimes you can't tell when they are just feeding you a line.

I don't know, sounds like you might have some excess brake drag wearing out drums in 900 miles, and maybe getting some chatter when under pressure.

And you know, there are a number of things that could be causing that but I'd look at (a) moisture contaminated brake fluid, (b) sticking wheel cylinders, (c) tired and weak brake hardware, (d) a defective master cylinder, or (e) any combination of more than one of the above.

well then i guess that proves you can't run red sauce in the master cylinder! wonder if i try alfredo sauce. i guess i asked for that, by the way they are jetzon tires and i don't think they are manufactured by george. any way's it is only the drivers rear side that i think makes the noise nothing up front i know that, i almost think its just comming from the drivers side rear. what do you think? would it be the hardware? i don't think it would be the brake fluid becouse it should effect all the wheels or am i wrong for thinking this?

Mine does the same thing....... on the same wheel and mine does it with 235/75/15 winstons and 31x10.5-15 tires.... I turned the rear drums and the noise went away. Then over time it came back, so I replaced everything in the rear except the backing plate and wheel clyinders. It came back agian but quicker that time. Now I am living with it. No one can tell me what it is also. My Xj is a 93 4.0, aw4, 231, 8.25 rear.

Black93xj, do you keep going through drums? that gets a little salty after awhile, some one has to have the answer, and by the way i also am running 235/75/15. but i can't see why that would cause it to do that.

I have not measured my rear drums ( the new ones ) and I don't have a vehicle inspection where I live. Yes I agree is very upsetting that I can't find the cause of this. After sinking all of that money in the rear brakes and still haivng the same issue I am about ready to say the heck with drums and do a zj rear disk swap. Its got to be the drums or something related other wise it would not go away when they are changed / turned. To be honst I had better brakes with the old good steel drums than I have now...... The new ones are made out of cheep steel ( but cost a decent buck ) they rust and make noise after stitting over night if has rained.

You live in a place where part of the inspecton is pulling off drums and measuring the thickness? WTFO...

Lights, externals and emissions. I thought that was about it. Christ, next thing they'll be checking oil for quality and cleanliness.

rocketman, i live in lancaster pa, and yes they do measure the diameter of the drums the drum thickness and even the rotor thickness,naturaly its all for that mighty dollar that they find bs to look for. I had a full size bronco that the tilt steering had just a bit under 1/4" play up and down. would not pass! and it depends on what station you take your vehicle to the first thing they do is scrape off your old sticker, explain that to a different inspection station and your right back at square one, well i fixed the tilt, i pulled it apart and welded the damn thing so it did not tilt any more and even then beings the vehicle had a tilt stem and did not tlilt they did not want to pass it but after some explaning they inspected it however still felt it was unsafe. wow, talk about getting off the subject. back to the xj it only makes this slight, very slight shudder and whopping noise when i am slowly comming to a stop, if i get on the brakes hard then they don't do it? but some people don't like it when in wait to hit the brakes, duh, i guess i would'nt like it either. any way's it SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!

Back