• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trimming Bushwackers for 35" tires

Vince

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I have had Bushwackers on my XJ for 4 years running 33x12.50's . I am running 4.5" backspace on 15x8 and have trimmed the Bushwackers to allow the tires to stuff front and rear without the tread blocks ripping the Bushwackers off. Mine are fixed with nutserts in the panels and although the flares are badly gouged, they've never come off.

I bought a 35" tire and had it mounted to a 15x8 rim with 3.75" backspace. I have offerred the tire up to the rear axle and it looks like I'm going to have to trim a lot from the lower edges, particularly the door mounted (4-door) flare, even maybe beyond the curve of the inside edge. Has anyone already done this to their Bushwackers to get a 35" tire fully stuffed in the rear? Got any pictures?

we need to figure out how much lift you got because stuffing 35's with wackers is like a minimum of like 4.5" lift but some can go lower but i have my wackers at 5.5" lift with 35's and i don't need to trim them...

My '93 XJ with Bushwackers is 5" in the rear, 4.5" in the front but I'm building a 2001 that's having an 8" Clayton Hard-Arm coil conversion. I'm using the '93 as a template because the 2001 is currently stock.

Adam Wycisio put his 8" XJ on the RTI ramp when I went over to Clayton's workshop and it flexes way more than you can imagine with leaf springs. His XJ was trimmed substantially to allow 35" BFG Krawlers to stuff all the way in with about 1/4" of space in front and behind the tire. I can't believe I took pictures of all angles except for full stuff. Looking at my '93 I need to trim back all the plastic so that the lower edges are the same size as the wheel well. I'm doing the bodywork mods before the lift goes on.

Back