• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock D44 Driveshaft length?

RyleyF

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up a D44 rear out of an 87 Cherokee the other day for an awesome price. The driveshaft was bent from when the tractor flipped the XJ on it's back so I didn't think about taking it with me. How long is a D44 driveshaft compared to a D35 rear driveshaft? I want to know if my D35 DS will work. I have a 3" lift and t-case drop, so I have about an inch of slipyoke to spare in case.

I also have a couple spare front Driveshafts so I can do the Hack N Tap down the road, but I believe if I spent another $150 after buying an axle, I'd be forced to eat ramen and be beaten by my folks, who insist I save my money. So I ask, if I remove the t-case drop, will my d35 shaft work?

1987 XJ D44 driveshaft is 29.5" from center of front ujoint to center of rear ujoint.

Well, overall length will depend on which tranny, and (I think) which t-case.

But since all you need is a comparison to the D35: the D44 pinion is about an inch longer, so the driveshaft needs to be about an inch shorter.

If you can take up that that inch in the slip yoke :)puke:) you'll be okay...

Hope it helped...
Robert

Back