• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question on Greasing Slip-Yoke.

Runnin'OnEmpty

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all, I'm about to remove the driveshaft to grease the slip-yoke, and wondering if oil will run out when the yoke is removed from the transfer case?

It's a 96 4WD.

Thanks,
ROE

Maybe just alittle bit will, but if you concerned about it, either lift the rear up a little bit, or park with the nose low. By the way, you don't need to lift the rear alot, I like to back up on top of like a block of 4x4 or maybe put the nose down in a shallow hole. As for actually gresing the slip yoke, the normal movements from driving keep the splines lubed with ATF inside the x-case anyway. If you are greasing the FRONT shaft, then all you may need to do is jack up one tire so that you can rotate the shaft and make sure to grease the joints while you are at it.

Runnin'OnEmpty said:
Hi all, I'm about to remove the driveshaft to grease the slip-yoke, and wondering if oil will run out when the yoke is removed from the transfer case?

It's a 96 4WD.

Thanks,
ROE

No, no oil will come out a 96'.
Remove drive shaft, take your finger and grease the inside of the yoke, and remount the DS.

,Ron

Thanks for the replies, guys. I just finished the grease job, and turned it around in the driveway; noticed no 'clunking' at all. Life is good.:sunshine:

I used a moly wheel bearing grease on the splines, and secured the rubber boot with zip ties. They work great for replacing the metal bands that have to be cut.

I just snugged up the rear U-joint retainers with a 1/4" ratchet, using blue Loc-Tite. I have a small inch-pound torque wrench in the tool box; anyone know the correct torque for these U-joint screws?

14 ft. lbs. at the axle end (front or rear, they're the same) and 20 ft. lbs. at the transfer case (for the front, obviously).

Back