• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP 231 Vs 242 transfer case

Depends on what you want to do. The NP242 has a Full-Time 4WD option that isn't on the NP231 (it's not AWD, but it's close enough for government work,) and has, as I recall, six planetary gears in the input gearset, as opposed to three for the NP231.

They are physically interchangeable - although it's a bit more work than you would prefer. I've exchanged the driveshafts (I have both - four rigs...) before, and I believe you'll have to change the shiftgate and/or shift linkage as well - but I can't swear to it.

The only real problems I see with both of them is the fact that the front output is driven by a chain (rather than direct gear drive,) and the chain will start to stretch, given time. However, the chain in both units seems to last anywhere between 200K and 500Kmiles, depending upon use and wear.

5-90

Yes they're interchangable, I don't think you have to change the shift gate though. My old NP242 shifter seemed to have the same range of motion as my current 231...but then again I could be wrong because I've never done the swap.

Given the choice, I'd pick the 242 every time for the Full-Time setting. It's the best for snow-covered pavement. In fact, I'm looking for a cheap 242 now...I read somewhere else that it should bolt right up to my Peugeot tranny...

I'll let ya'll know on the linkage in a week or so. I have my tranny out of my 89 (AW4 + NP231) for refurb (hell, I have the engine and front axle out too for the same). I'm planning to swap in a 94 Grand Cherokee console and shifters. On first glance it looks the same, but of course, the devil is in the details.

Back