• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Component Suggestions??

96CheroKeeClassik

NAXJA Forum User
Yeah so I decided a while back that i'm going to piece together a lift so that I can get exactly around where I want in height, and still try to save a bit of money while doing so. I'm paying for college, my jeep, cbr f4i, and my ranger, right now and moneys purty scarce.... and I'm definately lifting my jeep with what components i can come up with over time. bear with me, and thanks in advance...you guys are great.

ok, so...I have my mind decided on which route I'd like to go for the most part...but I'd really like to hear some opinions about my decisions before I get everything together. Remember, i'm trying to do this on a budget but i am willing to pay for a better component if its worth considering.

First things first...I have read that 95+ wrangler (front and rear) rubber factory replacement brakelines will work great and are fairly cheap. I read they give you an additional 4" of line. so thats what i'm getting...

I bought a set of brand new RE 4.5 front coils beause I've heard they usually run higher than than the advertise amount..

As far as LCA's I am wondering what lengths/brand/model#'s work properly on specific lift heights. I have a chance to get a few different brands of arm sets and I'd like to save a little money if a fixed set will work fine. but I have no idea which ones would be best for my desired lift height. Running the 4.5RE coils and possibly only at the most (in the future) a 2" poly spacer.... which would be best/cheapest?, using (for instance) a fixed skyjacker LCA set opposed to a fixed procomp set,....or should I even go with a set of adjustables for the 4.5-6.5" lift I'd like to get?? Sorry if that confusing..

I'm trying to avoid buying UCA's right now, by staying at 4.5" in the front for a while untill I can afford them. Am I going to need them for even just a 4.5? Can I go without UCA's on a 6" lift?

ok, for steering I'm planning on buying some $30ish eBay steering stabilizer...possibly pitman arm? (needed?) and prob a RE1600 trackbar (i know, i know) This may be a stupid question, but why do some lift kits only come with a "trackbar drop bracket" or "relocation bracket"? Do these brackets allow you to use the original track bar instead of buying a new one? (I'm not going to be off-roading or anything crazy for a while, I just have to have it lifted SOON for summer, and I'd like to use the $ for other more crucial components right now) bad idea??

I'm doin a home brew hopefully MJ pack or dakota, or s10 depending on availiblity/price hopefully netting around 4-5". I am going to get a 2" rough country shackle off eBay for like $55. hopefully giving me a good soild 5.5 inches in the rear. I found U-bolts center pins at rustys pretty cheap, but where can I find a quality set of spring clamps for an application like this??

Of course, i'll run a PORC SYE with a donor front driveshaft from my np231 to my C8.25.....very cheap & very reasonably easy.

Last but mos def not least.....shocks. I've read lots of suggestions and opinions and I'm thinking about the bilstein 5100's or some Ranchos because the OME's don't come for my lift height. But there so damn expensive....anyone know where the deals are on shocks??

Are bar pin eliminators worth getting?? I have heard that BPE's allow you a wider range of shock selection? is there any other benefit of these? (like possibly saving $ in future by not having to buy shocks for a huge lift??)

Like I said earlier thanks a ton in advance. and hopefully I can get some good suggestions from ya'll.

My suggestion:

Put on a BB and be done with it.
If $$ is tight, and your not going to wheel it........Why?

Start small and build it up when time and cash allows.
If something breaks....time to upgrade.

oh, don't you worry I most definately wheel it. and I wouldn't let my girlfriend get a BB. I was asking if I could get away with using just a track bar drop bracket (and take it easy for the summer) untill I saved up an extra $250 or so for a 1665 HD bar and bracket... or if I should just get the 1600. My main question was what that bracket that comes with most lift kits accomplishes .....the ability to use stock track bar or not. ??

96CheroKeeClassik said:
oh, don't you worry I most definately wheel it. and I wouldn't let my girlfriend get a BB. I was asking if I could get away with using just a track bar drop bracket (and take it easy for the summer) untill I saved up an extra $250 or so for a 1665 HD bar and bracket... or if I should just get the 1600. My main question was what that bracket that comes with most lift kits accomplishes .....the ability to use stock track bar or not. ??
Why would you not let your GF get a BB?
Do you not love her anymore?

Really though, what wrong with a BB?

I still say start small.
I think others will agree.
Others may not.

You're talking some serious cash to go straight to 4.5 - 5".
You said your going to wheel.
Have you thought of recovery points, armor, lockers, tires, wheels?
It adds up pretty quick.
If your on a "purty scarce" budget, this isn't the best plan IMHO.

These are almost to a T all the questions i have. I am also doing a lift on a budget (3-4.5 inch depending how homebrew leafs end up). I understand everyone always yelling search! search! but what about just throwing some answers or opinions out there? The BB is out for me too, i have wheeled my truck stock with MTs for long enough to know that in some situations you really need the extra few inches of clearance and some more articluation. Im especially interested in the UCA, BPE and shock questions

Don't waste your money on the steering stabilizer or the drop pitman arm. The brakelines are not 95+, they are up to 95 YJ brakelines. 97+ wrangler lines are too short. RE 4.5" coils are going to give atleast 5" if not more around 5.5-6", so you will need uppers. Stay away from trackbar relocation brackets. They are unsafe and really screw up your driveline geometry. The RE 1600 trackbar is a one shot wonder, and I wouldn't waste money on it if you can avoid it. Plus at 5"+, your really pushing the threas out on the 1600 where it really isn't too safe to run. Sounds like with your list, your budget it very very limited. I agree you need to start out much lower if you can't afford 5" of lift, because ride quality and especially your safety and everyone else's on the road are at risk. Sounds like you have a lot of homework left to do, but asking questions is a good start.

I really don't want to start out small because everyone I've talked to just wants to go higher and higher and higher. I have the money to buy all the needed parts, but just not all at once and I'm saving a decent amount of money by just piecing together what I need.

I already have some RE 4.5" coils, and I just bought a pair of fixed skyjacker LCA's today. (they are the ones that come with their 3" lift - w/ rubber bushings on both ends) so I figure these will work great for my 4.5-5" in the front with new bushings. I have another vehicle to drive while my jeep is out of commission so I kinda want to "just see how things go" as the new suspension gets put in.

By saying "just see how things go" I'm meaning as far as the driveshaft and steering/trac bar and such. I know that I'll prob need a HD Trackbar & bracket, and I know that i'm 99.589% probablly going to have to buy a SYE and DC shaft. BUT i'm just going to see what it looks/drives like after installation..... and possibly only have to do a T-case drop and some shims?? I don't know yet though....but probablly not.

To start off with in the front I'm just going to extend the brakelines, install the coils & LCA's and see what happens as far as steering, geometry, tow....etc..

In the rear i'm gonna do the brakelines, and my version of "the hybrid bastard MJ pack" with new hardware and everything, and possibly a 2" shackle if the rears just not quite adding up to the front.

When installing the new shocks I'm guessing most of the rear upper bolts are going to break and I've heard BPE's are an excellent fix for that,... and are also reccomended for the front as well. I've also heard that the use of BPE's allow for a wider range of shock choices. SO....what are my additional choices when using BPE's?......I mean like are they different shocks entirely....or just the ability to use (for instance) OME 3" lift shocks on a 5" lift??

Thanks a ton.

BPE's add about 1-2" to your shock length. They are a great way to go but might as well get t he right shocks now. When you do the spacers later on then add the BPE"S. That was/is my plan for my Rustys 4.5". Shackels in the back, probably adj coil spacer,BPE"S and UCA's next. That of course is all after I can afford a tom woods sye for my 242 tcase.

Back