• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axles-gears-4wd-confused??

cassio

NAXJA Forum User
im planning on picking up a d44 out of a cherokee with the tow package for $200

the question i have is

if i put in the d44
which should have the tow package 3.73 gears(right??)

could i still run my d30 with the stock 3.55 gears?

or is that too much of a difference??

thanks in advance

cas

cassio said:
im planning on picking up a d44 out of a cherokee with the tow package for $200

the question i have is

if i put in the d44
which should have the tow package 3.73 gears(right??)

could i still run my d30 with the stock 3.55 gears?

or is that too much of a difference??

thanks in advance

cas
Yes WAY too much difference. The ratios shouldn't be more than like 2% apart I think. And I'm pretty sure the tow package used 3.73's

cassio said:
really?

its out of an cherokee 2wd tow package with an automatic

cas
thats what i got mine out of and i assumed it had 3.55s, curious to which it has.

It should be 3.55's, here's what I've observed with XJ stock gearing.

1984 - 1986. 3.07, 3.55, 3.73, 4.10, or 4.56. Not much sense to these years; factory 4.56 is a rare beast but exists. 3.73's were common with the 2.8.

1987 - 2001
Automatic Transmission, 4.0: 3.55:1
Manual Transmission, 4.0: 3.07:1
All 2.5: 4.10:1

I *could* be wrong here... Anyway the D44 is almost certinaly out of a 1987 (most of htem were) and most likey also from a 4.0 (again most of them were) so I'd be willing to bet that it is 3.55:1.

Sequoia

thanks for clearing that up

Bought mine off ebay a few years ago (3 years already, wow),
Came out of an 86 with tow package. It had 3.55 gears in it.

Just to throw out another bone for the junkyard lookers: the 2.5 AW-4 tended to get you the "magical" gearing of 4.56 in both the 2wd and the 4wd, since the O/D gearing of the AW4 made it extremely hard for the 2.5 to move itself, let alone a load, if the gearing was anything else. I have an '87 MJ behind my house right now WITH those gears in it. I am going to go out on a limb here, and say that I believe (and according to my HAYES interchange manual) that the 2.5 AW4 combo came on line in 1987, as did the 4.0 as we all should now by now. So, from a production point of view, it would make sense to use as many of the same parts as possible to keep cost down. At least the bean counters did us a favor for once. (gears for the 2.5) Unfortunatly, the HAYES does not mention anything about the D44 having 4.56 gears, but then again, this IS Jeep that we are disscussing.

Back