• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trailer Hitches w/ Gas Tank Skids on 97+'s

TF8

NAXJA Forum User
Title kind of tells all. I have a 97+ with a factory gas tank skid. I'm looking into getting a 2" reciever and was wondering which hitches people prefered in terms of clearance that will fit with the skid. I tried all types of searches with no luck. I would hate to have to shell out for the factory hitch that hangs down way low.

Tyler Forbes

Hangs down low?

I have the factory hitch on two 2000 XJs and it's about as high as it can get without removing the bumper.

Yeah, I too have a factory hitch and it is mounted has high as it can. It almost touches the bumper. Most aftermarket ones that I have seen sit lower than a factory Mopar hitch. My XJ also has the factory gas tank skid which the hitch mounts after it. I have seen factory hitches on ebay from time to time at good prices too.
Alex

FuelTankSkid3.jpg

98MoparHitch3.jpg

I think I know what you are talking about. The picture above has the receiver part coming straight out of the main bar, but I’ve seen a few XJs around that have hitches with the main bar that sits higher and forward so most of it is up behind the bumper. There is one at work that has a Draw-Tite like that, but I don’t know if its made just for the application or if it’s one of the adjustable ones.

I found this. Don't know who made it, but I think it's closer to what you want.
Skidrow-XJ-GTS.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys,
looks like the hidden hitch is the way i want to go. Unlike the others only the reciever hangs below the bumper.

Tyler

I orginally picked up a stock hitch from a junk yard. It hung down low and also had a goofy plate that bolted to the bulkhead behind the bumper along with the the one one the frame. The hidden hitch I have now hangs down about half the amount the factory one did.

Back