• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spare driveshafts

Fenris

NAXJA Forum User
Knowers of all things evil about xj's.
I need a cheap spare rear driveshaft. I have a '97 with the 8.25 rearend and I'm still running the stock shaft with the slip,np231. I'm at 4" lift in the rear (no vibes-got lucky). The junkyard has several early 90's xj's with dana 35 rears. Anything to look for or to avoid. Should I grab a front ($75) while I'm at the junkyard? Thanks

just make sure that they give you the right size. I picked up a dent in my RDS and got a vibration from it. no biggie went to local bone yard to get a new one. oh 95 xj 8.25 rear. he said he has one i put it on but it didn't seem right. shrugged it off and a few days later the shaft shrugged me off while goin 55:eek: fell out of the t-case!:eek: turns out it not the right shaft. went back and raised hell:flamemad: :flamemad: got me the right one. checked it by measuring my original and the new one. so just be aware of dumb bone yard workers.:rolleyes:

Just take the measurements of yours before you go out. All the slip yokes on the XJ's are the same length so the only variation is the actual tube length.

Also, I'm not sure what your pricing is in that area but used front shafts are about $30 to $35 up here. Perhaps look around for a better price if you can.

The transfer case output shaft design changed in 1996. I don't know if this affected drive shaft length, but I don't think a shaft from anything older than a 1996 will work in a '96 or newer XJ.

The pinion snout on the Dana 35 is about an inch shorter than on the 8.25, requiring a longer drive shaft. If you have an 8.25, there is a possibility that a Dana 35 shaft might be too long.

What you should be looking for, ideally, is a driveshaft from a '96 or newer XJ with an 8.25 rear axle and the same tranny/transfer case you have.

the auto/manuals trannies have different length shafts, I can't remember which is longer, but I think the stick one is. Sounds like this is what happened to cherokeekid95.

Eagle said:
The pinion snout on the Dana 35 is about an inch shorter than on the 8.25, requiring a longer drive shaft. If you have an 8.25, there is a possibility that a Dana 35 shaft might be too long.
You might be right, or maybe its just what he needs because hes at 4" lift in the rear and still stock driveshaft. Wouldn't a slightly longer driveshaft be beneficial, assuming it wasn't too long?

Hey Fenris - send me an e-mail ([email protected]) or check your PM's damnit!!! I've been trying to contact you about future trail rides. A few of us are doing Hunter Lake on Wednesday. You should join... ;)

On that note the longer shaft may be fine... and actually help a bit.

If it's true that the 8.25 snout is a bit longer than the Dana35 then my past experience might help as I went from a Dana 35 to a Dana 44 and the 44's snout is about 3/4" longer than the Dana 35.

I first lifted to about 4.5" and the slip yoke was sitting out a ways. I then swapped my Dana 35 for the 44 and using the same rear shaft my slip yoke was right back to it's stock location. Not vibes, no worries.

Does anyone know the size shaft I will need on a 92 xj with an automatic and 8.25 in the rear on 8 inches of lift? I will be needing a new one because I don't want my stock shaft for it will fall out and that is not good. Thanks for any help

Back