• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

exhaust hangers

bacelaw

NAXJA Forum User
hi - replacing the exhaust system in my 96, 4.0, 4x4, everything except for the manifold.

ive been looking for a full kit, including cat converter, any suggestions?

also do kits usually come with the hangers with the rubber bushings to the exhaust can move a bit?

also - are these hangers bolted up through the floor or welded?

i dont have access to a welder

They are bolt up. Get `em at any Autozone or nappa or C.A.P.

Hey were in boston are you? I'm in natick.

hilarious - i grew up in natick!

live in boston currently - but i frequent that autozone on rt. 9, do all the work at parents house, father has a fully equiped garage.

Yup thats my autozone. I'm not even 5 min. from there. Got any pictures of you're rig? Maybe i've seen you around or vice versa.

Oh sure. Let me know if you need a hand I can take a ride out there or we can meet up some place and get that thing patched up.

cool! i may just do that - my schedule is hectic, not sure when it's getting done.

did wheel hubs yesterday, what a pain in the ass - but i ride like a cadillac now on the highway.

oh - where would you suggest getting everything? the exhaust pipe, muffler, cat converter, tailpipe, brackets, hangers,....?

Well... You can get the pipes at C.A.P or autozone. Same with the brackets and hangers.

As for the muffler, you need to decide whether or not you want a stock replacement or an aftermarket high flow. The cat would be kinda difficult because junk yards won't sell em and their kinda hard to find a decent quality. Not sure around here on the that one.

FYI - autozone.com has catalytic converters listed - not in stock in the store - but you can special order online, or in the store to save on shipping.

109-119.

any thoughts?

is the whole exhaust system clamp-together-able? i dont weld.

The stock system should all clamp together. On a 96 there are no bolt-up flanges ( a PITA on the earlier catalysts), so all you will need are the pieces and the clamps. The stock Chrysler system is one piece from cat back, but the aftermarket ones have muffler and tailpipe separate. The books at the store will tell you all the clamps you need, so if the people at the store are competent you'll get everything.

I'm not sure about the rubber hangers, because I've always reused them. There's one hanger just behind the muffler. There's an L-shaped pin in the floor, and a pin welded to the pipe, so all you need is the rubber piece that goes between them, unless the pin is rusted off from the floor. At the rear, there's a hanger that often breaks, but you can use a generic rubber-strap hanger in its place. Forward of the cat, there's a hanger that should still be present on yours. It sticks into a big rubber bushing on the crossmember. I can't remember how it attaches to the exhaust, so you'd better look at it before you go to the store, and check what you get there.

By the way, congrats on getting your hubs off.

By the way, congrats on getting your hubs off.

thanks for the info! yeah, those hubs were unreal...pappy had an old gear puller circa 1940 he uses on his 1941 pontiac...didnt really work.

bought a three arm puller - came out with some hammering..

the pass. side started to come apart, like the hub assembly started to separate rather than slide off the mating surface - i left it alone under some tension for a while, released the tension, then reapplied it - and it popped off after a little chiselling.

OH - and that 36mm nut??? F$#@!!!

Back