• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How the hell do you get a lock-right out?!?

Vanquish

NAXJA Forum User
I've got the axle shafts out(except the center, disconnecting one) and that's as far as I've gotten. I can't take the carrier out because of the center axle shaft. I cant take the shaft out because of the C-clip. I can't take the c-clip out because the Ring gear is blocking the slot where it comes out. I can;t take the ring off because the carriers still in the axle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF?!?!

Please help :(

Did you take the springs/pins out of the the lockright?

What axle are we talking about?

Sorry it's in the D30 front axle.

There are no visible springs like other lock rights. I can't get the pins out. I must be missing something with these pins.

pic8.JPG

I'm not familiar with Disco-D30's.

I don't *think* they even have c-clips though.

At any rate;

You will have to get all 4 spring/pin combos out of the lockright.
Use a pick to pop them out.
Use caution, as they will likely go flying across the room.

Why are you wanting to take it out in the first place?

Well if it doesnt have C-clips, why wont the shaft come out? It slides side to side about an inch. Sliding it outwards, theres a sudden stop and a bump in the carrier, which leads me to believe theres a C-clip hidden in there.

It's in a YJ axle, I have an XJ.

Disconnect dana 30's do have one c-clip holding the center shaft in.

I've seen several of them where that c-clip is missing where i tear into them, but its there.

Hopefully rawbrown will chime in, this is his specialty.

-C

You should still be able to remove the drivers side gear first(after removing the 4 sets of springs)and sliding all 4 pins back.Theres 2 each per side(opposite corners),remove the springs and push the pins into the spring side of each drive collar.

Last edited:
Anyone got any hints/tricks to get the split pins out? I know split pins are usually a PITA, but these have been soaked in gear oil for god knows how long.

did you install the lock right?

if so, taking it out is exactly the same as puttin it in just opposite.

1. take out the springs
2. push the pins to the side where the springs used to be, they will go all the way in and be out of the way.
3. take out the pinion shaft, its held in by a 1/4" 12 point bolt
4. take out the driver that is easier to get to (not blocked by the ring gear)
5. take out the side gear on the same side
6. then you should be able to get the other side out.

-tim

On dana 30's you have to remove the ring gear in order to punch out the roll pin that holds in the cross shaft.

BingBing said:
On dana 30's you have to remove the ring gear in order to punch out the roll pin that holds in the cross shaft.
Thats BS,but you might need to pull the bearing cap!

I didn't insatll the locker, if that means anything.

You don't need to remove the ring gear to pull the pin, its on the other side of the carrier, smoke another one.

So my only problem now is, pulling out atleast 2 pins, to slide the toothed part of the locker over, correct?

So my only problem now is, pulling out atleast 2 pins, to slide the toothed part of the locker over, correct?
You have to push back all 4.
Theres two in a minute of searching that say to remove the ring gear
You obviously havent worked on one!

True. I haven't.

The big crosspin needs to come out. If the ring gear's in the way, it needs to be removed. There's a small split pin holding the large crosspin in and that needs to be driven away from the ring gear side as it does bottom in the carrier.

Once the crosspin is out the locker will rotate freely in the carrier. Use a hook shaped tool to pull the springs out, careful as they like to fly. Then the small pins need to be moved over to where the springs were. A little shot of compressed air works well for this. Once all 4 pins are moved over the halves of the locker will come out.

A lot (but not all!) disco D30's came with a cheesy c-clip on the passenger side only. It can't be installed with a lockright though, and there are no ill effects from leaving it out.

The actual crosshaft/trunnion may or may not come out depending on how it was installed and based on the gears.I managed 4.10's by just grinding the ring gear.Otherwise you will need to remove the carrier first and then the ring gear.

Bingbing, you obviously cant read, let alone work on an axle. I said the carrier was still in the axle, along with the pinion. There is no possible way to remove the ring gear, with everything still in the axle.

Thanks for the answers and help from everyone, but I did it the good ol fasioned 8:30 at night Canadian way. I screwed drywall screws into the pins and pulled with pliers. All 4 pins came out, granted theyre all screwed now though. However roll pins are cheap so no worries.

Once again, thanks all.

NOTE: My axle DID have a C-clip holding the center shaft in, which WAS installed with the lockright.

I screwed drywall screws into the pins and pulled with pliers. All 4 pins came out, granted theyre all screwed now though. However roll pins are cheap so no worries.
?????The drive pins are solid hardened steel,I guess you need a set of replacement springs?

Back