• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2N04 Report

Bent

Only Marble Sharp
NAXJA Member
Ethan and I ran 2N04 yesterday, 4/2; it was actually in very good shape. The
crossing at Arrastre creek had the typical problem of the creek wanting to follow the road for about 40 feet. The work we did at the crossing last year was still quite evident and looked to be 80% effective. A large pine had apparently fallen
across the trail here; the FS or OHV has cut it back off the trail but left the logs
sitting there.

I noticed a half a dozen areas where runoff had begun to cut into the edge of the trail, all of them minor because of last years efforts. Each of these locations was marked with a stake. IIRC, the FS was installing drains in some areas; they may intend to do the same on 2N04. Last year there had been a deep rut midway down the road from run off. The repair made there last year is still intact.The fence repairs we made at Broom flats have either not been bothered, or have been kept up by OHV, I noticed that some repairs had also been made in the area along 2N01. The seasonal run off from the meadow has not been enough to cut any new ruts crossing the trail.

Rocks falling onto the road have been minimal and limited to the same area as last year. There are a couple of large boulders in this same vicinity that might be a hazard. They are about 15 – 20 ft. above the trail and may require a strap or winch to dislodge if it is determined to be a necessary precaution.
Neither brush encroaching onto the trail or litter will be much of an issue this year. With the snow pretty much gone in this area of the forest, the amount of litter may increase before the workday. Overall, trail conditions are significantly better than this time last season, enough in fact that I began to question our assignment of a “more difficult” (blue square) rating. With a group starting from each end, it shouldn’t take more than a few hours of work.

After scouting the adopted trail, we headed over to Pontiac sluice, which has filled in with a lot of sand by the way, and Onyx loop. On our way down 2N01 towards 2N61Y, between Broom flats and the Round valley campground, we noted three things. The first being that the SoCal chapter has grown in membership since the chapter adopted 2N04. Secondly, the trail is low maintenance; especially considering the level of participation from current membership of the chapter. Third, and here in lies the hook; this section of 2N01 (black diamond) has not been adopted. Short of making a formal motion, I think that the chapter should consider this as a possibility.

The campground at Juniper springs has dried out, especially compared to last season’s mud. The pond that had formed behind the grounds has all but disappeared. I did note however, the sign there limited the number of vehicles to eight and campers to forty.

TIM

Last edited:
Better? You blind old fart.

Hey Tim,

Thanks for the report. I think adopting a second trail is a great idea. Of course, we would all need to work on the trials, but great for the group and other groups/wheelers out there. Heck, I would like to see NAXJA SOCAL chapter signs and stickers on alot of trails up there. It will definitley show our support and admiration of the sport and the wilderness of Big Bear.

I look forward to working on the trail this year.

Bent said:
Third, and here in lies the hook; this section of 2N01 (black diamond) has not been adopted. Short of making a formal motion, I think that the chapter should consider this as a possibility.

I support this idea.

Bent said:
On our way down 2N01 towards 2N61Y, between Broom flats and the Round valley campground… this section of 2N01 (black diamond) has not been adopted…

There is something wrong with that statement. The designated trail I am referring to runs between 2N01 at Broom Flats and Round Valley group campground. It cannot actually be 2N01, otherwise it would intersect 2N02 NW of where we came out. There is a creek bed running through this same area, the trail actually crosses it a couple of times. Maybe Ed will chime in.

Sequoia, if this helps, I passed a ranger turning onto the route Sunday afternoon, Gregg IIRC, driving a white Wrangler. There were a couple of OHV rigs down in the valley that only had half of an idea where they were. I sent back up the same way looking for him, there problem might have been in trying to use one of the available maps of the area.

I'll be up there in the same area tomorrow, I'll try to pay closer attention as well as get some GPS coordinates.

TIM

Last edited:
Back