• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

weird eletrical problem

afjeep2082

NAXJA Forum User
first off....1993 cherokee sport 4.oL automatic......I am having a weird problem where my voltage is reading low, at first when it started it would read low (9-10amps) and then all of a sudden it would come back up to about 14amps.....but now it always reads about 10 amps, I don't think it's the alternator as it keeps current. I did read about it possably being a loose bonding strap, I have yet to check it but I def. will. I also herd it being some kind of auto matic shut off relay or something....I'm not sure what or where this is or how to check if it is what the problem is. So I am seeking advice as where to start with that and where else I might check for problems......I have never tottaly lost power yet, only had fluctuating readings from low to normal and back....and now it's pretty consistant at the low end, the engine is running fine but I am getting a 41 engine code. any help would be appreciated. thanks

first off it's not an ammeter, it's a voltmeter.
Secondly it's notoriously inaccurate. Get a DMM and put it on the battery while the engine is running, BE CAREFUL OF THE FAN. You should get between 13 and 14 V at idle.
You can always take it off anf take it to the local parts store, most places will test it, they may even be abl to test it in the Jeep, call around and ask.

In older vehicles, that had mechanical voltage regulators, inaccurate gauges were often the fault of 5 volt regulator in the back of the circuit board.

Could that be the problem with all the posts about gauges in the XJ being so inaccurate? Or is it simply the gauges are just often poorly calibrated.

OH, and too add to the thread, if the current draw is too high for the alternator to supply, then the voltage will drop. All the electrical items turned on while the motor is at idle can often cause the voltage to drop, it should come back up to normal when you rev up the motor.

ok either way you know what I'm talking about......I checked it with the engine off and its at 12.60 and with the engine at idel it's at 12.10.....but it never drops below that

well the jeep just about died as the volts were in the red.....I turned everything off i could to get home and barley did that........guess it's just a bad alternator....ugh I hate it when this crap all of a sudden comes up..oh well that's life with a car I guess

Back