• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which Winch?

do it right the first time and get a warn. i bought a milemarker 9000# the first time and a couple years later i'm about to be buying a warn because the milemarker just didnt hold up to the abuse. it was a decent winch, but for a little more money you can get a warn m8000, which is what i'll be buying soon.

warn.

There are so many different options to choose from but all of the good choices have one thing in common, they say Warn on them.

Take a look at the TMax winches, you can get a 9500 for just a little more than the above prices.

where can i find the specs on teh tmax winches

I abuse the heck out my milemarker SE9500 and it works GREAT!!! Used it probably 15 times our last outing pulling out other XJ's, wranglers, yotas, and myself. Long hard pulls with no problems. Even pulled a stump out of the ground with my D30 on one pull!!! Its a bit slower than a warn, but that doesn't bother me. It came with a lifetime no questions asked free replacement warranty. For the price you can't beat it!

And just in case it ever gives me any problems I always wheel with someone who has a warn. J/K!!...sorta...

One guy in our group had a warn XD9000i which puked. As I was winching him out he asks "what kind of winch is that?"..."milemarker?"..."never heard of it"..."NICE WINCH!!!"

Just like anything else, I believe you get what you pay for. But if you are in that range of wanting a 9k winch on a tight budget go milemarker all the way!

Last edited:
Ramsey said:
where can i find the specs on teh tmax winches

map_china_s.jpg

thank you ecksjay, that about covers it

From the two sites you just posted:
"The T-MAX recovery winch developed in the rugged Australia Outback"
"DESIGNED, ENGINEERED AND MERCILESSLY TESTED IN AUSTRALIA"

I think that's kinda funny, seeing that the Tmax winches were designed and are built by T-MAX(Hangzhou)Industrial CO.,LTD. which is located in Hangzhou, Zhejiang province, China. I never knew that Australia was in mainland China...

I'm not saying anything about the winches themselves...I've never seen them in use so I can't speak for that, I just thought the whole "from Australia" thing was funny...

Out of the three you listed I would choose Superwinch. Put a fourth in there and I would choose Warn. Which is what I have.

Maybe I'll wait on the winch until I save up the money for a Warn but that could be a while. I have used Mile Marker on Hummers before but the Air Force uses the Hydo versions. I figured the MM12000 would be a good winch for an XJ but if the Warn 8000 is better for $100 more then I will look into it.

Even if the warn is twice as much. Take your money, put it in a sock, and put a little more in every payday until you can buy a warn. :)

Ive got a Warn and had no problems with it. As most do, I think Warn is probably the king of winches right now, but for the money, I wouldnt hesitate to get the Superwinch or even Ramsey.
I have no experience with the Milemarker, Tmax, Harbor freight and so on but Ive heard mixed reviews of those brands.
You should research winch motors. Ive read that a series wound motor, as opposed to permanent magnet, is the only way to go in a winch. That may help with your decision.

I got a warn 8274 used for 200. Then spent about 50 to get it going. Its been a great winch!

Back