• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

351 Windsor into an XJ?

A coworker of mine has an 88 Bronco with a 351W, and is planning to swap it out for a diesel later this summer. I could probably get a good deal on the 351. How much work would it take to put that engine into an XJ that now has a 4.0/AX-15/NP231? I was looking over the Advance Adapters and Novak web sites earlier, and there is an adapter to mate a Ford small block's bellhousing to an AX-15. I didn't see any motor mounts for putting Ford V8s into an XJ, although AA does have them for other Jeeps, like YJs.

Is it worth even considering this swap? My 4.0 is tired and leaky, and the 351 is low-mileage (~80,000) and well-maintained. I don't know enough about engines to build a stroker. I suppose in the end it would probably be cheaper to buy a bolt-in stroker, but there's just something appealing about a V8.

BrettM said:
do you think the AX15 would be up to handling the power? I'd consider another tranny, like maybe the np435 or C6
I want to stay with a manual transmission, and would rather just keep the AX-15 until it explodes, and then try to find a cheap NV4500. Besides, just replacing the engine is going to cost me enough.

Novak's site has this to say about the AX-15: "The AX15 actually makes a very clean conversion to most GM engines and because it is a stronger transmission, it is well matched for the Chevy V6 and many V8 engines".

JP magazine says that the transmission on the XJ can handle up to double the torque/horsepower than the 4.0 puts out. It's supposed to easily be able to handle a small block V-8's power with no problem.

cstilesiscool said:
JP magazine says that the transmission on the XJ can handle up to double the torque/horsepower than the 4.0 puts out. It's supposed to easily be able to handle a small block V-8's power with no problem.

try not to believe everything JP writes...

I don't know how an AX-15 will hold up, but an AW4 will definitely live.
Thing is, 80K isn't exactly low mileage on a 351- not the same as 80K on a 4.0.

If you are worried about cost of a new tranny, while swapping the motor, and its costing enough as it is for that, dont think about a swap. there are ALWAYS unforseen expenses while doing a custom swap

It strikes me that the best part of doing a Ford swap is teh ability to easily utilizer the rest of the drivetrain. Grab the AOD and the BW 1345 when you grab the engine. The yards are full of these combos.

Heck, find a set of axles from a mid to late 70's Bronco or F-150, and you could really Ford-ize your Jeep.

CRASH said:
It strikes me that the best part of doing a Ford swap is teh ability to easily utilizer the rest of the drivetrain. Grab the AOD and the BW 1345 when you grab the engine. The yards are full of these combos.

Heck, find a set of axles from a mid to late 70's Bronco or F-150, and you could really Ford-ize your Jeep.
While I'd like to get new axles and a new driveline, the main reason I'm considering this swap is that I could get the engine for pretty cheap. Although I suppose that I could get the engine, and then buy an F-150 with a blown engine. I just wish Advance Adapters or Novak made mounts for a Ford small block in an XJ. I know they exist for the YJ; could those be modified somehow or would I need custom ones?

And now that I think of it, I'm only on 31s. If I go full width, that would look pretty silly. Even with black axles.

Plus the fact that I don't have a welder, and don't have any real experience working with driveline components. But on the other hand, I do have the luxury of another car to drive. Part of me thinks this swap is a dumb idea, while the rest of me wants to buy an engine hoist, a welder, and a parts truck. Opinions?

Mambeu said:
Opinions?

Um...you asked for opinions...

I wouldn't do it unless you are prepared for a whole lot of work. Some guys are wizards with welders and can fabricate fantastic stuff in their spare time. Based on what you've written it sounds like you are good with a wrench but may not really be prepared for this scale of project.

Also what about emissions and licensing requirements? My state (Colorado) has strict emission laws that make it almost impossible to license any vehicle newer than 1980 with this kind of wild engine swap.

I had a 351w in my Bronco and loved the rumble too but it sucked gas and was awfully big for 4 wheeling. Your Cherokee with it's sturdy 4.0L is a light-weight awesome 4 wheeler. If you want a little rumble get a good exhaust with a turbo muffler and it will sound great plus you'll notice an improvement in preformance.

If you want to put that 351w into something, I like your idea of reviving an F-150.

Just my 2 cents worth. :)

Can a 351 even fit in the engine bay of an XJ? it can be a pretty wide engine after you consider headers.

The 351 can easily fit into the xj.
If your engine is on its way out....maybe.

but I would rebuild the v-8 before going through the trouble of swapping it in, no sense in doing all that work just to have to pull it out again in a few years.

Im more interested in the diesel into the bronco swap...... powerstroke??

Good luck with the V-8 swap.... next time im in Ithaca I'll look for a v-8 xj!!! :)

Hell If you going to use a ford E/T. Why not just get a Ford. Many AMC engines will all but bolt up to your trany. Are cheep and still around, use a non-coputize carb and ignition system.
What ever you do. I want a ride.

Mambeu said:
While I'd like to get new axles and a new driveline, the main reason I'm considering this swap is that I could get the engine for pretty cheap. Although I suppose that I could get the engine, and then buy an F-150 with a blown engine. I just wish Advance Adapters or Novak made mounts for a Ford small block in an XJ. I know they exist for the YJ; could those be modified somehow or would I need custom ones?

It doesn't sound like you are at all prepared to take on a project of this magnitude, nor does your rig require the kind power level we are talking about.

If you had 3/4 or one ton running gear, and 38" tires, the 351 would be perfect for you. For 31's, the 4.0 is adequate.

There are plenty of old Ford motors out there, when/if your rig gets bigger, you can always upgrade engines.

Back