• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SHAVED 9" FRONT vs 44

JarheadJon

NAXJA Forum User
In an attempt not to dump loads of cash into the 30, only to swap later, (currently open w/4.56's); I intend to swap the 30 for a 44 or 9".

I am thinking the shaved 9" will have better clearance than the 44, and I can get a high pinion variant and still be plenty strong enough for the XJ with up to 37's. I dont want to be limited to what I can run down the road when it is no longer my daily driver.

My concerns are weight... Would the weight difference be negligible? Would the front end need to be reinforced?

Then comes the knuckle and hub equation... Any reccommendations there? Thats where it gets fuzzy for me. The 44 is a lot easier in terms of existing compatable systems.
Thanks
Jon

the 9" has a larger ring gear, so in theory the D44 (8.5") has potential for more clearance. However it is much easier to shave a 9" for maximum clearance because of the stamped steel housing.

A Hi9 gearset is stronger than an RC44 gear set. The 9" would weigh less. The 9" would have to be custom inner shafts, 31 or 35 spline, wheras the D44 you could use the same Waggy shafts that tons of people use. Your options for knuckle and hub are pretty much the same, unless you went with D60 outers in the 9".

All 9 inch front axle applications are custom made. Therefore, the "knuckle and hub equation" can be whatever you want it to be. Do some research on this, and it will be less fuzzy. I think most are pointing toward D60 equipment at the axle ends.

If you're building a 9", do yourself a favor and use D-60 ends.

Build a rear 9 to match. If you go with the 60 ends make them 35 spline. If you plan on alloy shafts, go 35 spline there, too. The components for 31 and 35 spline stuff is all relatively the same cost, so, why not go bigger. This would allow you to run almost whatever size tire you want. It will not be cheap either way you go.

http://www.sunrayengineering.com/main.html

Look aroud this web site. There is some good info.

Back