• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fender flares

slg199

NAXJA Forum User
Glad to be here this is my first post.I searched in the archives but could not find a exactly what I was looking for.I am sorry its probably there i just could not find it.I have a two part question. What is the biggest tire and wheel combo i can fit on a stock 1988 xj with rustys fender flares?(they claim up to 5" of fender clearance) also with the same fender flares what is the shortest long arm lift i can get away with and run 35s?I dont mind a little rubbing at full flex.(stock or lifted)Any advise on whos long arm kits to avoid would also be great

Will pass on the long arm stuff but as far as tires go the flares are not the limiting factor, the wheel wells and sheet metal are the real limiting factor and lift amount. 31x10.50's will fit stock if you have good springs and don't disconnect, load it down and adjust your steering stops, maybe extend your rear bump stops but it's a tight squeeze, 235's and 30's will fit no problem, again with good springs, the 30's may take a washer or two behind the stops for full lock turns.
To get bigger rubber you have to trim metal....

Thanks for the info I was planning to cut the fender as much as possable to fit the fender flares(rustys says you can gain up to 5"). Any guesses as to how tall a tire I can run.What size lift would alow 33" with cut fenders.

3-4" of lift with cut fenders and bumpstopping you can clear 33s pretty easily

Back