• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing shims

Rocketman

NAXJA Forum User
Did the search... Can anyone shoot me a procedure or pictures for an easy way to install shims? Need to install 6* shims on my shackled and 2 year old RE 3.5 springs. Have the 3/8" bolt and shims ready to go. I know a couple good C-clamps are needed to hold things together. I'm assuming the RE springs have the 3/8" bolt as stock or am I gonna have to drill out the pack as well?

What's the procedure, one side at a time, loosening the u-bolts till you can get at the center bolt? (yes, existing u-bolts are long enough)Have a single floor jack and (2) 6 ton stands. Do I need more?

If anyone in the Chicago burbs in the MWC wants to give me a hand we could make it a mini-wrench fest as I have RE Adjustable UCA's to install as well. I have air and tools and decent garage.

HEP ME PULEESE!

Last edited:
If your saying that the shims have a 5/8" hole in them,then they dont get installed "in" the springpack.They go between the pack and the perches with extended center pins(I bet they are aluminum also).

Know now all RE springs have the 3/8" bolt stock. Shims and bolts both steel. (RE)

I know I'm not installing the shims IN the pack, but they do attach to the pack.

Last edited:
I don't have pics, but I just did this this afternoon while my two boys were napping. I had to run in every now and then, but it took maybe two hours total. The holes on my shims were too big to be bolted to the leaf packs, so all I had to do was drop the axle and slide them in. What took the longest was trying to get the heads of the center pins into the spring perches--pain in the rear.
Procedure-wise, get it up in the air, wheels off, undo lower shock mounts, undo the u-bolts, clamp one spring at a time (I only used one clamp when I did my A.A.L.), remove center pin, and lower the axle. Put the shim on, bolt the center pin in, and raise the axle to put the u-bolts back on (I left them a bit loose until I undid the other side). Repeat on the other side, then tighten all the u-bolts to 52 ft. lbs., and put everything back together. Watch your brake line, too. My axle almost fell when I was lowering it, and without the shocks helping to hold it, what's left is the rear prop. shaft and brake line.

Back