• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front receiver hitch

BLUTO

NAXJA Forum User
I was going to save up for an ARB or WARN front bumper, one that could take a 2" receiver for a portable winch. I got a great deal on a Manik brush bar and may go with that instead. (a guy at work has one and showed me how he "re-inforced" it....doesn't move when hit now ;) )
Anyway, the $450 I save on the ARB, would pay for other things....and I never intended to turn my XJ into a bulldozer :D I would still like to keep my front stock bumper AND have a 2"winch mounting point up front.
Does anyone know of a front receiver hitch or other trick to achieve this?
BLUTO :)

You can build one that will come out right in the mddle of the bumper.All the bolt-on ones sit right below the bumper.

Do you have any pics or a link to someone who did this? I found (on a search) that Draw-Tite has a front receiver, but it gets a little messy and I think you have to remove a skid plate (from looking at the installation directions)?
Your idea sounds a lot cooler :cool: and I can fab it at home (save $$$ ;) )

Yep, look at the Tomken site for ideas of a front receiver bumper...lots more approach angle than a dedicated winch bumper. I saw one in person on Johann's (pre-97) XJ and it seems like a pretty stout piece. I dunno how they fit/look on 97+ XJs.

I bought a 'Hidden Hitch' brand front 2" receiver (one of the first aftermarket parts on my MJ) and it had tow-bar tabs & safety chain loops added to it....The prev. owner pulled his XJ behind an RV.

The bad thing was it mounted very low. I found a rock to play on at the dirt-road part of Tellico trail 5, and of course, bent that sucker down at about a 45* angle :doh: I did push the rock about a half a foot though ;) It came off at camp that night, and I tried to straighten it out. Didn't get much success, so it was added to the 'later' pile.

Someday I may hack the bent mounting brackets off the cross tube and incorporate it into a bumper for something...

Based upon the damage I Inflicted to it, I dunno if that particular brand is heavy-duty enough to trust for mounting a multi-mount winch... And of course, there are much better bulldozers out there if that's your thing.

BLUTO said:
Do you have any pics or a link to someone who did this? I found (on a search) that Draw-Tite has a front receiver, but it gets a little messy and I think you have to remove a skid plate (from looking at the installation directions)?
Your idea sounds a lot cooler :cool: and I can fab it at home (save $$$ ;) )

Ive got some pics of my bumper build that might help with the concept(I'll look for them).What you need to do is build new brackets out of at least 5/16" then add some brackets for the OEM bumper then run 2x2x.25" thru the brackets(behind the bumper).cut a hole in the bumper and weld the receiver on.

Thanks,
I went to Rusty's and saw the pic, I'm picking up my Manik brush bar tonite....so whatever route I go, I'll need to be able to fit it around the brush bar. RCP makes good mention that I can fab one up (and I just bought a MIG welder too ;) ) and stick it straight thru the stock front bumper. The guy I'm buying the Manik from said it attaches to the tow hook brackets. Since I don't have tow hooks OR brackets, now is the perfect time to custom fab these three items (tow hooks, Manik, and reciever) into one harmonious :rolleyes: work of art! :D

DUDE! That is one BigAssBumper! :eek:
As formidable as it appears, I'm still wanting to keep some of my XJ's front features intact.....I just want to "accentuate" where AMC/Chrysler left off! ;) .
I would like to get rid of my chrome front grille and get a Patriot blue one instead. Anyone want to trade, mine's in excellent condition. ;)

i have a 2" hidden hitch in the front right now. it hangs low but i hit it alot less than i thought i would.. i run a skid plate in it for those unfortunate moments.... the 2" box is mounted to the bottom of the drawbar.. i am going to have it cut off and re-welded to the front of the bar and gusset/box it with 1/4" plate... still cheaper than most other set-ups.. and then i might run a removable winch cradle in the front without fear..
sid

Back