• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Atlas install?

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I searched and will search more, but...

I am really wanting to upgrade axles and go atleats 9" and hp d44, but before I get to that. Will my 242 survive running 37s? I am strongly considering running an Atlas 4.3 with my stock axles for awhile, then upgrading.

I know Jes and some others are running Atlas cases, what all do I need? What fabbing is involved? Also what upgrades to the t-case should I look to order with it? I only want to do this once.

I searched and see you only have to cut some floor pan for the shifters? Is that all? Is it all bolt in after that?

Last edited:
I run an atlas 4.3 behind my aw4 & 4.0, 37's and d44s w/ ARBS, this is in my YJ and it works well and is easy to install. I dont know much about the 242 but my XJ has the 231 w/ teralow behind the aw4 & 4.0, 40's, d60, 14 blt, detroits and it seems to work just as well, if not better than the atlas (4.3 with 4.88s is almost too low sometimes). I would upgrade the axles before the transfer case, if your worried about it just use finess and you should be fine. FYI, Atlas cases are a little over 2K so you might want to consider that in your build up, you can get some chromo. axle shafts and some ARBs for that money. And twin stick is nice but far from necessary in most cases.
If you do consider installing just call Advanced Adapters and they will hook you up with everything you need, they could probably mate a model T to an Atlas. Good luck.

Well I kinda got scared away fro man axle swap for now.

I've been told I need to plate my intire unibody even for d44/9" axles. Plus I live in a townhome so no garage, not alot of tools or skills. So I am left having to buy built axles or pay about the same to get junk yard axles under the Jeep. I called my local offroad shop and he said for it to be a DD and the axles housings are bare of all mounts, he said it would be $2,500 to get me set up ready to drive anywhere. So I minize well buy custom axles, but $4-$6k for a front axle is well alot for me.

I live in a condo and do most of my work in the street. Put the axles together yourself its not that difficult. Just tack it all together then have it welded. Install is simple. I even set up the gears then had it checked by a professional. 6K for a front axle will get you a rockjock d60. If money is an issue then I would not even consider an atlas.

juryrigjalopy said:
I live in a condo and do most of my work in the street. Put the axles together yourself its not that difficult. Just tack it all together then have it welded. Install is simple. I even set up the gears then had it checked by a professional. 6K for a front axle will get you a rockjock d60. If money is an issue then I would not even consider an atlas.

Well its not a real issue its just I just got a new job and got about $1k I can spend on my XJ every month and well not sure $10k in axles is what I want to do, lol.

Well its not a real issue its just I just got a new job and got about $1k I can spend on my XJ every month and well not sure $10k in axles is what I want to do, lol.

Your on crack if you think a 9" and d44 cost 10k to build, even by the best builder.

ZachMan said:
Well I kinda got scared away fro man axle swap for now.

I've been told I need to plate my intire unibody even for d44/9" axles.

Those axles aren't that much heavier than stock units, and you really don't HAVE to plate the unibody to run them. When you get a d60's under your jeep, then you'll need to reinforce the unibody for sure.

juryrigjalopy said:
Your on crack if you think a 9" and d44 cost 10k to build, even by the best builder.

I did my swap for under 1200 after I sold off my old stuff.

BRIANHO13 said:
I did my swap for under 1200 after I sold off my old stuff.

You did good if you did it for under 1200, or did you sell a pair of rockjock 60s.
Did you include lockers in that price.

juryrigjalopy said:
You did good if you did it for under 1200, or did you sell a pair of rockjock 60s.
Did you include lockers in that price.

Spooled the rear and aussie in the front.....I made all my own brackets.

If you want to spend 10k on axles, let me know... I got some beachfront property in utah for sale...

Rawbrown said:
If you want to spend 10k on axles, let me know... I got some beachfront property in utah for sale...

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Why not simply go Dynatrac Pro-rock 60's? They quoted me about 14k for a pair. But be prepared to have them built by Dynatrac's standards. They refused my request to build stock width (60.5) and insisted on specific calipers I didn't want. I cancelled the build and saved a ton of money :D.

Kent :)

Rev Den said:

x2...

Mine hasnt taco'ed yet...

HP44/9...

no frame plating...

IMG_4342.sized.jpg

ZachMan said:
Will my 242 survive running 37s? ?

What does tire size have to do with transfer case strength?

Are you increasing input shaft torque? If not, your T-case will survive any sized tire you want to run behind a stock motor. Tire size has zero effect on transmission and transfer case durability.

Rawbrown said:

If you act now, we'll throw in Antelope Island at 1/2 price........

800px-100_0297.jpg

juryrigjalopy said:

Not just looking at those. try hi 9 609 front and rear d60

XJ_ranger said:
x2...

Mine hasnt taco'ed yet...

HP44/9...

no frame plating...

IMG_4342.sized.jpg

Thats the route I am going. Found a front hp d44 for $350 and a F150 9" with Nodular 3rd for $80.

CRASH said:
What does tire size have to do with transfer case strength?

Are you increasing input shaft torque? If not, your T-case will survive any sized tire you want to run behind a stock motor. Tire size has zero effect on transmission and transfer case durability.

didn't realize that.

Then whats with everyone saying they wouldn't run over 35s on a 242?

Back