• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine oil drain plug

Amund2

NAXJA Forum User
I can't get it out! It turns, but it's not coming out. Does anyone know why, or do I have to take off the whole pan to get the oil out? (1993 4,0 HO out of a ZJ)

I am guessing that if it turns, but does not back out, the threads are stripped.

To fix, the first thing you need to do is to get the existing drain plug out.

To do this, I would suggest putting a sharp edged device, like a small chisel, at the junction between the drain plug bolt and the surface of the oil pan. Then, while trying to loosen the drain plug, try to force (with hammer taps, if necessary), the chisel into the gap. The idea here is to get the plug to begin backing out on what little threads may be left.

Once the plug is out, you may be in luck. The threads in the oil pan are usually harder than those in the plug, by design. Maybe a new drain plug will be all you will need to restore the threaded connection.

If that fails, they make a kind of drain plug that is really one plug inside another, intended for fixiing stripped drain plug holes. You force thread the outer plug into the stripped hole, and basically make it a permanent connection. Then, a small drain plug fits into the larger permanent plug. The smaller one is the one that is then removed whenever oil is drained.

I would take a large set of straight pliers and grasp the plug, start turning it while you are pulling it. The threads are stripped, if you can get the threads started you may then be able to manually back it out. I have also taken a small thin putty knife and worked it between the bolt and the oil pan, put a socket and ratchet on and started turning and applying pressue on the bolt with the putty knife, sometimes this will get it started.
I recommend big heavy STRAIGHT PULL pliers first, angled channel locks won't let you get the necessary backwards pull.
As for replacement, three alternatives, if the bolt is stripped, just get a new one [with a magnet in the center as long as you are replacing it], over sized bolt, they sell them just for this purpose, kinda 'next size up', Fram makes a 'quick change' kit that has a bolt with a lever in it, seen them at Wallmart.
For future, I use a large 1/2 inch ratchet for removal and a 3/8 inch ratchet for putting it back on, that way I don't over torque it.

Rich, I'll bet Amund has lots of Wal_marts to choose from in Norway :D

Oh, do they spell it with a V over there :D

Hehe. Vall-marts, and lots of Jeeps at the "u-pull-it" as you call it. I found four in the whole country! Makes engine swaps really fun. :)

But thanks for the tips, guys! I guess I'll suck the oil up through the oil pin (well, not me personally, but with a pump), and take the pan off the next time I'm changing the oil, to clean stuff properly and to clear up the drainplug.

By the way, I'm the silly one and not you, RichP. I thought this was the Norwegian XJ Assoc. Was quite surprised to see more than four people in here... ? ;) Jokes aside, this forum (as well as the rest of the net) is gold! If all the cars in Norway were XJ's, there STILL wouldn't be as much experience and knowledge as here in this forum. (But more parts...)

Back