• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T-case chain slack

kleake

NAXJA Forum User
Guys, I just started hearing a slight whine coming from my transfer case the other day and it seems to be getting louder... Started out only at about 60 and above, but now I can hear it at 40 and above. Definitely coming from the transfer case. It does not change with gear changes or anything only road speed and is slightly louder while accellerating. Almost sounds like a noisy power steering pump, kinda that type of sound.

My question is, how do you tell how much slack is in the chain without tearing into it? I have hear of locking the rear DS, and rotating the front while in 4wd to see how much you can move it.. I can rotate mine about 1/4- 1/2 inch at the edge of the dust sheild by the joint... To me, this looks like too much?

Anybody?? Has anyone replaced the chain in their 231 transfer case? I've got a 94 with about 160K on it, talking with Tri County Gear, he doesn't think it should need a chain yet, but i'm starting to get a sound from it, and it seems like it has a little play... Trying to get others thoughts before a dig into it???

I'm changing mine out this weekend and it has about as much slack as yours it sounds like, about 1/4 to 1/2" of slop. Mine's got 250K miles and I needed to get in there anyway to do a SYE. Replacing the chain (and all the seals) was a natural. Since everything else on mine was just plain wore-out, from engine to axles and ball joints, I suspect my Transfer Case chain is just as hammered.

Hey Nevada City Sparky,,,, did you get a chance to tear into your transfer case yet? I think I have my problem solved... Turns out, chain is ok, but my pickup tube screen was plugged with silicone from the previous owner.... Causing it to be starved of oil.... After cleaning,,, it has been getting quieter every day....

I was going to ask if you're sure it's not a bearing in the rear. The noise you described sounds like a bad axle or carrier bearing to me, but I guess it was the Tcase and you got it taken care of.

Usually slack in the chain results in a loud KLUNK or slapping noise, not a whine. It's really easy to split the case and replace the chain though. I've got a 242 Tcase with a bad chain that I'm going to rebuild and install in my '87 XJ once I get the engine in and it's running again.

Well,,,,, when up on jack stands, then I could accelerate and hear the whine in the case,, then if I back off the throttle I could hear that rattly, slapping sound of a loose chain, that's why I was thinking that... I didn't totally solve it, but it is improving. I checked the rear bearing, but didn't have a replacement handy since it is not an original with the SYE kit I have. The only bearing left that I think it could be is the input, so I now have a bearing just in case. But after finding the clogged pickup screen, and cleaning it,,, the thing seems to be getting quieter each time I drive it, so I'm going to keep the new bearing handy, and drive it till till it gets worse... The chain really didn't seem that bad at all like I expected with 160K on it...

Back