• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Braided Brake Line Replacement

G.Q. Jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 94 Cherokee with 3.5" lift, and front sway bar disconnected. I have installed braided brake lines on the front/rear. I noticed that the braid on my front right line has split, and I'm down to basically a bare line - if it gets knicked, or too much pressure I could be screwed.

My question, what do you recommend for replacement? The braided brake line kits are about $150 bucks. I was hoping to not spend that much. Is there a cheaper way around this, or do I have to bite the bullet?

Thanks,

I would suggest you stay away from steel braided lines. They tend to break easy.
sczvjt.jpg

One option is to use brake hoses from a 95 YJ. All three hoses from a YJ are about 3-4" longer than stock XJ hoses.

Another option for the front is to use hoses from a GMC or Chevy pickup. 89-2002. They are about 8" longer than stock. I paid $16.99/side.

Part numbers:
RAY 4538620
RAY 4538621

Here is a picture of the YJ hose next to the GMC hose.
sngbd0.jpg

Hey guys, just a side questions, I don't mean to jack the thread, but where would you recommend buying new brake lines? Is a place like Autozone, Napa, or Checker ok? Or should I be buying these from the stealer... err I mean dealer?

Thanks guys,

So I ordered the YJ brake line, it will be here tomorrow. Is the diameter on the stock YJ hose the same as the braided lines? Should be, right ? (equal pressure)

yes.
i know people running YJ lines and they deliver the same pressure as stock. at least, we presume they do because there is zero difference in brake pedal feel and overall performance.

Back