• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

235/75/15 or 30X9.5 BFG At's

edmaude

NAXJA Member #1368
I need new tires and am torn between sizes. I have the clearance and Up-Country suspension, but want insight on what is better to get. I am assuming with the 30's that I will have to adjust the steering stops.

Go with 31's and don't look back.

not related to what u are considering but (according to 4wheel parts catalog) a 235 bfg has a slight wider footprint than the 30" and is only about 3/4" shorter if I remember right.
Just food for thought. (but i think the 30"ers are a bit cheaper?)

Go bigger. I bought the 235 BFG ATs and almost immediately wished I'd gone with 30s. Now I have a two-inch lift and really wish I'd gone with 30s.

with some 30s, you have to ajust steering stops. when i put my 30x9.50 MTRs on my stock suspension XJ, i didn't get any steering rub, just a little on the fender liners from going over speedbumps too fast.
back then, i had the stock cheapo steel wheels on my XJ.
myoldwheels2rd.jpg

sideviewkindadark7dq.jpg

i upgraded to some 1996 cherokee classic aluminum wheels. now the tires occasionally barely touch the sway bar, but have never contacted the LCAs. i still havn't fussed with the steering stops and i never will. driving around washington DC i need the tightest turning radius i can get.
those are 30s with 1in actual lift front and rear, just so you get the idea of what 30s would look like with your factory upcountry package, which is probably at a similar height.

I vote for the 30's. I had roughly 1 " when I first got my 30x9.5 BFG ATs and they worked well. At full lock I could get just a little rub on the LCAs but nothing that I think really even would validate adjusting the steering stops. Here are 2 pictures of mine back before I got my 3" OME kit (oh and fyi I am up at around 67k on them and still not down to the wear bars so they'll last you a good long time)

401189_5_full.jpg

401189_2_full.jpg

Back