• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel rail hard to remove?

ChipsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
2 questions (more or less) if you please.

1. is the fuel rail suppose to be hard to pull out after removing the 4 bolts?
I have the bolts out and the lines removed, and can wiggle and rotate the injectors but can not pull the rail off or the injectors out. afraid to put too much force on it without knowing.

2. Can I swap out the injectors from a 93 xj into an 88 xj? will I have to change anything else? will the older computer interact with the later injectors alright ?(send the right amount of fuel with the pulse?

thanks

ChipsXJ said:
2 questions (more or less) if you please.

1. is the fuel rail suppose to be hard to pull out after removing the 4 bolts?
I have the bolts out and the lines removed, and can wiggle and rotate the injectors but can not pull the rail off or the injectors out. afraid to put too much force on it without knowing.

2. Can I swap out the injectors from a 93 xj into an 88 xj? will I have to change anything else? will the older computer interact with the later injectors alright ?(send the right amount of fuel with the pulse?

thanks
Yes it can be hard to pull off because the old o-rings are hard as a rock.
You will need new o-rings never ever reuse the old ones.
Jeep 1987-95 injectors are the same.
http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/Injector_SetsJEEP.asp

Last edited:
Using a large long screwdriver or a short prybar, GENTLY pry upwards on the fuel rail using the valve cover as the axis point. The o-rings are old and hardened and require some force to get them to let go.

You can get Ford 19# injectors used off eBay for around $30 to $50. I got eight for $35 and they have been wonderful. I now have two as spares.

Yeah, found spraying the oring area where the injector goes into the head with fuel injector/carb cleaner....they'll come out a little smoother

I didn't have much of a problem removing mine... it was the putting it back on that was a total pain in the rear....

I have no idea if I should have done this, but instead of coating the o-rings with fuel to help with pushing them back in, I sprayed throttle body cleaner on em, and they immediatly slid right in with no resistance.. pretty slick... no leaks or problems since last summer.

Back